2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Results from Canada
Spoiler Alert: 2013 AMA Supercross results from Rogers Centre, Toronto, listed below
The 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross series headed far north Saturday for the only international visit on the 17-round tour at Rogers Centre, Toronto.
And before over 48,000 fans, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto took his seventh win of 2013 SX, extending not only his points lead, but his consecutive winning streak to four races (Indy, Daytona, St. Louis).
Joining the winner Villopoto on the Toronto Supercross podium was Rockstar Energy Suzuki’s Davi Millsaps and Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey, respectively.
Villopoto took the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot, followed by TwoTwo Motorsports Honda’s Chad Reed and Millsaps. But on the opening lap, Reed and Millsaps would both pass Villopoto. Behind, Dungey and Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart were also on the attack, creating a huge five-way battle.
On the second lap, Millsaps passed Reed, and led until the 11th of 20 laps. Villopoto moved into second on the third lap, and began chasing down Millsaps. On the fourth lap, Dungey also passed Reed for the third position.
Villopoto and Millsaps battled intensely, and on lap 11, Villopoto took over the lead. He would pull away from the grid, and take his 31st win of his 450 Supercross career. The KX450F rider became the first rider to win back-to-back races at Toronto in the six years the venue has been on the schedule.
Villopoto was followed by Millsaps and Dungey, who stalled his KTM SX-F 450, losing third for a bit to Reed. But Dungey fought back to take final podium position. Reed finished fourth, followed by Muscle Milk Honda’s Justin Barcia.
Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX450F Supercross) says: “It was unbelievable. Davi is riding really well and he was riding exceptionally well [tonight]. I got around him with about halfway to go [in the Main Event] and I was able to get a little bit of a gap. Everybody up here [on the podium] is unbelievable and it shows how fast we really are when we run a pace like that on a track that was so [difficult].”
Davi Millsaps (Rockstar Energy Suzuki RM-Z450 Supercross) says: “It was definitely a good race. I got off to a pretty good start and I just tried to ride my own race as much as I could. I made a lot of mistakes here and there, and throughout the first half of the race. Ryan eventually got by me and I did the best I could to keep up and do whatever I could.”
With his win, Villopoto has extended his lead to 12 points over Millsaps as the series heads into Houston’s Reliant Stadium for round 13 of 17.
In the 250SX Class, Red Bull KTM’s Marvin Musquin captured his third consecutive win in the Eastern Regional Championship, gaining ground in the standings with a wire-to-wire effort, Feld Motor Sports says.
Musquin was the first rider to cross the stripe for the Nuclear Cowboyz® Holeshot Award, followed by privateer Honda rider Jimmy DeCotis and Slaton Racing’s Vince Friese. Both Rockstar Energy Racing’s Blake Wharton and GEICO Honda’s Wil Hahn, Musquin’s primary championship rivals, started inside the top five and began to work their way forward, Feld Motor Sports says.
On Lap 2, DeCotis crashed out of second, allowing both Wharton and Hahn to gain a position on the track. Before long, Wharton and Hahn began to battle for second, which helped Musquin extend his lead. On Lap 6, Hahn made the move for the position and attempted to catch Musquin out front.
The French rider maintained his advantage for the remainder of the 15-lap Main Event and won by over three seconds. Prior to the 2013 season, Musquin had never won a Monster Energy Supercross Main Event, but now he has won three in-a-row and is closing in on the lead in the championship, Feld Motor Sports says.
Marvin Musquin (Red Bull KTM SX-F 250 Supercross) says: “Today my confidence wasn’t so much there because I had a crash [in practice]. But I really need to thank the team, because they are better than me and helped push me tonight. It was a tough day. I had a great start [in the Main Event] and it’s such a good feeling when you’re hurting because you don’t know what’s going to happen. It was great.”
Hahn, the current championship leader, minimized the damage done to his lead in the standings by finishing second. Wharton held off a late charge by MyPlash/Metal Mulisha/Star Yamaha’s Jeremy Martin to finish third, Feld Motor Sport says.
Wil Hahn (GEICO Honda CRF250R Supercross) says: “I need to get my starts back, it’s killing me right now. I’ve got to turn my brain back on and I’ve got to get back on that top step [of the podium] where I belong.”
Hahn’s lead in the Eastern Regional Championship now sits at six points over Musquin as both riders search for their first career Monster Energy Supercross titles.
Monster Energy Supercross will observe the Easter holiday next weekend before returning to action on Saturday, April 6, from Houston’s Reliant Stadium. The action for the 13th race of the 2013 season will kick off at 8 p.m. EST. SPEED will provide live coverage of the race, beginning at 8:30 p.m. EST.
2013 Toronto AMA Supercross 450 SX Class Results:
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
- Chad Reed, Australia, Honda
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
- Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
- Matt Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., KTM
2013 AMA Supercross 450 SX Class Season Standings (after round 12 of 17):
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 252
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 240
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 230
- Chad Reed, Australia, Honda, 196
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 184
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 169
- Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 165
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 148
- Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha, 122
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki, 122
2013 Toronto AMA Supercross Eastern Regional 250SX Class Results:
- Marvin Musquin, France, KTM
- Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki
- Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha
- Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda
- Cole Thompson, Brigden, Can., Honda
- James Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
- Gavin Faith, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Honda
- Jackson Richardson, Cairns, Australia, Honda
- Kyle Peters, Greensboro, N.C., Honda
2013 AMA Supercross Eastern Regional 250 SX Class Season Standings
- Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 134
- Marvin Musquin, France, KTM, 128
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki, 108
- Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki, 87
- Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda, 80
- Kyle Peters, Greensboro, N.C., Honda, 78
- Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha, 71
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki, 68
- Gavin Faith, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Honda, 66
- James Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda, 66