Indonesia Motorcycle/Scooter News
Due to increased demand for Honda scooters in Indonesia, PT Astra Honda Motor (AHJ) will build a fourth motorcycle plant to solely produce scooters.
AHJ, Honda’s joint venture company in Indonesia responsible for motorcycle production and sales, says the fourth plant will have a 1,100,000-unit production capacity per year for scooters such as the Supra X 125, BeAT, and Vario Techno 125.
Honda says the annual production of the First, Second, Third and the new Fourth plant will become 5,300,000 unites per year, and AHJ is continuing to establish the production system through the concept "to supply 100% good products, with speed, affordability, and low carbon."
The Fourth plant will be built in Bukit Indah Industrial Park about 70 kilometers east from central of Jakarta, and is planned to open in Autumn 2013.
Honda says: "The investment amount for the new plant is approximately 3.128 trillion Indonesian rupiah (approximately 27.5 billion yen), and AHJ plans to employ around 3,000 new employees, so in total the employees will become around 21,000 associates altogether with the existing plants.
"Reduction of CO2 emissions, utilization of the natural power sources by wind power generator and solar power generator, and adoption of automation at process are also tackled positively for this new plant, aimed to be an environmental green plant for employees, community and natural environment."
Next to China and India, Indonesia is the third-largest motorcycle market, and continues to grow every year. In 2011, Honda reports that a total of 8.01 million motorcycles were sold in Indonesia, with AHJ selling 4.27 million.
Honda says: "For 2012, the total market is expected to be expanding approximately 8.7 million units and AHJ is planning to sell around 4.8 million units."
PT Astra Honda Motor Profile:
- Established on : December 2000
- Start to operate : January 2001
- Head Quarter : Jakarta, Indonesia
- Capital : 185 Billion Rupiahs (approx. 1.63 Billion Yen)
- Share Holder : Honda Motor Co., Ltd. 50%
- PT Astra International Tbk 50%
- President Director : Yusuke Hori
- Scope of Business : Manufacture component, assembling engine and body, and sales (wholesaler) of motorcycle
- Production Capacity : 4.2 million units/year
- (1st Plant: 1 mill. units, 2nd Plant: 1 mill. units and 3rd Plant: 2.2 mill. units)
- Number of employee : 18,000 persons (end of January, 2012)
- Models of Product : SupraX-125, Revo, Blade, Mega Pro, Tiger, Vario, Vario Techno 125, BeAT, CS1, Scoopy, Spacy Helm-In
- Number of dealer : 1,775 outlets (end of February, 2012)