While designing the 2011 RM-Z450, Suzuki didn’t have to look any further than the 2009 AMA Supercross Championship season. The RM-Z450 dominated the series, and Suzuki fine-tuned that same technology for an even better dirt bike for 2011.
Some of these refinements include meeting a stricter AMA noise limit (94b) while keeping the engine output smooth, increasing the compression ratio from 12.2:1 up to 12.5:1 for higher output, and changed the intake/exhaust timing for a better feeling.
Due to the numerous wins their motocross bikes have, this formula has proven to be successful for Suzuki. And their goal for 2011 was to make their championship-winning machine even more potent right out of the crate.
2011 Motocross 450cc:
- For 2011, the RM-Z450 meets stricter AMA noise limit (94db) while keeping smooth engine output.
- Suzuki’s class-leading fuel-injection system uses technology from Suzuki’s championship-winning models-the GSX-R motorcycles and the QuadRacer R450 ATV.
- The RM-Z450, the first motocross bike to ever use fuel injection, has won both outdoor championships as well as a Supercross championship.
- The RM-Z450’s slim chassis design makes for a comfortable riding position, opening up the cockpit to help allow the rider to actively take control of the machine.
- Class-leading 47mm Showa inverted forks provide optimum wheel travel and are compression- and rebound-damping adjustable.
- A Showa piggyback-reservoir rear shock with high/low-speed compression damping adjustment and rebound damping and spring preload adjustments. The rear shock, working through Suzuki’s superlative rising-rate linkage system, provides 310mm of wheel travel, delivering maximum traction.
- The RM-Z450’s twin-spar aluminum frame and swingarm was developed and refined for a highly optimized balance between rigidity and superb high-speed traction. The lightweight swingarm helps enhance terrain-traversing performance over bumps.
- Race-inspired disc rotors offer enhanced cooling performance and efficient mud slinging.
- A stylish two-tone radiator shrouds accentuate the RM-Z450’s agile looks.
- The RM-Z450 comes with a gripper seat, with projected cross-shaped patterns on the top surface to provide additional grip.
- The RM-Z450’s 449cc four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four-valve, fuel-injected engine was developed and refined to deliver phenomenal idle-to-redline thrust.
- The lightweight, battery-less, motocross-use electronic fuel injection system uses progressive throttle linkage for efficient power delivery.
- A 12-hole fuel injector delivers a fine fuel/air mist for efficient operation.
- The RM-Z450’s aluminum cylinder is treated with Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) coating, and was built for durability, light weight and efficient heat transfer.
- A 5-speed transmission provides extra flexibility, offering gear ratios suited for various terrains and conditions.
- The RM-Z450 has a link-type shifting system, which offers smooth transitions through the gears.
2011 RM-Z450 Motorcycle Specifications:
- Overall Length 2190 mm (86.2 in)
- Overall Width 830 mm (32.7 in)
- Wheelbase 1495 mm (58.9 in)
- Ground Clearance 325 mm (12.8 in)
- Seat Height 955 mm (37.6 in)
- Curb Weight 113 kg (249 lbs)
- Transmission 5-speed constant mesh
- Final Drive Chain, DID520MXV4, 114 links
- Suspension Front Telescopic inverted, coil spring, oil damped
- Suspension Rear Swingarm, link type, coil spring, oil damped
- Brakes Front Disc brake
- Brakes Rear Disc brake
- Tires Front 80/100-21 51M, tube type
- Tires Rear 110/90-19 62M, tube type
- Fuel Tank Capacity 6.2 L (1.6 US gallons)
- Displacement 449cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, single cylinder, DOHC
- Fuel System Suzuki fuel injection
- Starter Primary kick
- Ignition Electronic ignition (CDI)
- Warranty No Warranty