2013 Dakar Rally | KTM Video Highlights
By Tom Wera
Last weekend, the 2013 Dakar Rally, coined as the “world’s toughest race,” wrapped up.
And after 14 days and 5,000 miles of grueling conditions from Lima, Peru, to Santiago, Chile, Red Bull’s KTM Cyril Despres took the win. It would be his fifth Dakar title, adding to his others in 2005, 2007, 2010 and 2013.
The Frenchman Despres would take the win by almost 11 minutes ahead of his “water carrier” Ruben Faria (Portugal). Taking the final podium spot was yet another KTM rider, Chaleco Lopez.
And though one of KTM’s top riders was out due to injury – three-time Dakar winner Marc Coma – the Austrian manufacturer took the top-five overall positions.
KTM has been the dominate manufacturer at Dakar, winning the last 12 consecutive titles. Attached above is a video highlighting KTM’s performance at 2013 Dakar Rally.
2013 Dakar Rally Final Results after 14 stages and over 8,000 km from Lima, Peru to Santiago, Chile):
1. Despres KTM – wins fifth Dakar title; twelfth consecutive title for KTM
2. Faria KTM at 10.43
3. Chaleco Lopez, Chile, KTM at 18.48
4. Jakes, KTM at 23.54
5. Joan Pedrero, Spain, KTM at 55.29
11 Jakub Przygonski, Poland, KTM at 1:33.59
13. Riaan Van Niekerk, South Africa KTM at 2:02.54
15. Ben Grabham, Australia, KTM at 2:45.14
16. Plan Anders Ullevalseter, Norway, KTM at 3:00.56
19. Henk Knuiman, Netherlands, KTM at 3:15.20
31. Caselli, KTM at 6:03.40
32. Curtis, KTM at 6:05.38