Harley-Davidson Unveils 2013 CVO Breakout
2013 Harley-Davidson CVO Breakout Preview
All new for 2013, Harley-Davidson has released a limited-production Softail – the CVO Breakout.
The Custom Vehicle Operations model features the Twin Cam 110B engine combined with new custom styling that displays “muscle in motion.”
Kirk Rasmussen (Harley-Davidson Styling Manager) says: “We begin by stripping the bike down to the bones and building up from there,” said Rasmussen. “Stylist Mark Daniels penned a tough-looking hot rod concept and we were off to the races.
“To create a compact, muscular profile we’ve chopped the fenders to the legal limit so more tire rubber is revealed at both ends of the bike. The same principle is applied to the console, where we shaved it down and used braided steel lines for vent tubes. This gives us a larger canvas for paint and finishes, an essential element of the CVO formula.”
The CVO Breakout story begins with its Twin Cam 110B engine, a 110-cid V-Twin that pumps out 112 ft. lbs. of peak torque to give the CVO Breakout the best power-to-weight ratio of any current CVO model. The CVO Breakout takes production motorcycle paint to a new level of true customization. Two paint schemes feature hand-polished steel sections on the fuel tank and fenders. A third paint option incorporates hand-laid lace stenciling. The amount of manual finishing required to create these painted parts makes each set of bodywork unique.
New polished chrome Turbine wheels are another styling highlight to debut on the CVO Breakout. “We gave the Turbine wheel a good deal of drama by pulling the spoke ridges all the way through to the rim, which help make the wheel diameter look larger,” said Rasmussen. “The front wheel has 21 spokes. I think the ridges on the rear wheel look a little scary. The dramatic diameter of the 21-inch front wheel with a 130mm tire and the 18-inch rear wheel with a 240mm tire give the bike a strong proportional foundation.”
Other custom details introduced on the CVO Breakout include a wide front end with a mini headlamp nacelle, and a chromed cast-aluminum oil tank. The Softail® chassis mimics the clean lines of a vintage hardtail frame, but utilizes rear suspension control provided by coil-over shock absorbers mounted horizontally and out of sight within the frame rails. Electronic cruise control, Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), keyless ignition, and the Harley-Davidson® Smart Security System are standard equipment on the CVO Breakout.
2013 Harley-Davidson CVO Breakout Features:
- The Screamin’ Eagle Twin Cam 110B engine with 110-cid (1803cc), counter-balanced and rigid-mounted within the frame, is rated at 112 ft. lbs. of torque at 3500 rpm. The engine is equipped with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and Electronic Throttle Control (ETC), and is mated to a 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission.
- Assist & Slip Clutch Pack provides a slip feature on downshifts to reduce loading of the driveline and improve shift feel, while a new internal design doubles the life of the clutch pack in test cycles. Hydraulic clutch actuation has been updated to reduce lever effort; peak force required is reduced by 10 percent and hold-in force is reduced by 17 percent. Finally, a new clutch lever shape reduces reach and optimizes lever control.
- Turbine wheels with matching brake discs and drive sprocket are highly polished and chrome plated.
- Front and Rear Fenders are each chopped to the legal limit of tire coverage. The front fender location and bracket are specific to the CVO Breakout. The rear fender is shaped and positioned to fit as close as possible to the 240mm tire.
- One-Piece Forged Aluminum Rear Fender Supports are highly polished. The fender supports and chopped rear fender are four pounds lighter than the forged steel supports and covers used on other Harley-Davidson® Softail® models.
- Wide Front End spreads the forks approximately 1.75-inches wider than previous FX Softail models to allow fitment of a 130mm front tire. The entire front end assembly is chrome plated, including the nacelle and headlamp bucket.
- Low-Profile Console tops a five-gallon fuel tank with a strip of brilliant chrome. Two elbow outlets and braided stainless steel lines exit forward from the top of the console to accommodate the tank vent.
- Single-Rib Cast Aluminum Oil Tank is polished and finished in chrome.
- Leather Seat and Pillion in black or brown leather is accented with an embossed horn-back gator hide pattern. The seat and pillion are shaped to provide good lower back support for the rider. The pillion may be removed without tools to fully expose the paint on the rear fender.
- Chrome Handlebar offers a neutral rider position and is internally-wired for a clean look. The integrated chrome riser incorporates a mount for the four-inch combination digital speedometer/analog tachometer and LED indicators, which are positioned below the riser.
- Side-mounted license plate and combination stop/turn/tail lights leave the wide rear fender uncluttered.
- Customer Care package includes an indoor/outdoor storage cover with CVO logo, tool kit, microfiber detail cloth and H-D jiffy stand coaster.
The CVO Breakout will be offered in three dramatic custom-color schemes, each with a Granite powdercoat-and-chrome powertrain.
- Black Diamond and Molten Silver with Crushed Slate graphics. This combination features polished steel areas on the fuel tank and fenders that require 10 hand-sanding passes, beginning with 150 grit and finishing with 3000 grit, and a three-step final-polishing treatment. This process produces a high-luster finish with intentional hand-worked marks that make each part unique. The color elements are then applied, followed by coats of candy and standard clear that let the polished steel shine through. This color is paired with a black-leather seat.
- Hard Candy Gold Dust and Liquid Sun with Pagan Gold graphics. This paint set also features polished-steel sections on the fuel tank and fenders, but the candy clear coat is tinted to give the polished areas the gleaming Liquid Sun tone. Gold Dust is created by applying large metal flake over a black base, and finishing it with the tinted clear. This color is paired with a black-leather seat.
- Crimson Red Sunglo and Scarlet Lace with Hammered Sterling graphics. To create a graphic effect on the lower portions of the fuel tank and fenders, Black Candy is sprayed through lace fabric placed over a Silver base color, and finished with a layer of Scarlet Candy. Because the lace is applied by hand, no two painted parts will have the same exact pattern. This color is paired with a rich, brown-leather seat.
The 2013 CVO Breakout has a suggested U.S. retail price of $26,499. Production will be limited to approximately 1,900 units.