2012 Yamaha Motorcycle
Besides its sheer speeds at the raceways, the Yamaha YZF-R6 is greatly known for its technological aspects.
The R6 screams tech-savvy in many ways, but is best known for Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T), the first motorcycle to have one, and Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake (YCC-I). The advanced Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle provides "flawless response under all conditions," and the Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake varies "intake tract length for excellent cylinder filling and a broader powerband."And the R6 returns for 2012 with these technical aspects wrapped around its 599cc inline-four featuring titanium valves, although a carry-over model from last year.The only change for 2012 is a new color option; just like its older brother, the 2012 R1, the 2012 YZF-R6 will be offered in a limited World GP 50th Anniversary Edition that celebrates Yamaha’s racing heritage with Pearl White/Rapid Red livery. The LE R6, which only 1500 will be produced worldwide, includes a 50th Anniversary emblem on top of the fuel tank and a special numbered plate showing the production number.Following are the highlights, specs, color options and MSRP for the 2012 Yamaha YZF-R6.2012 Yamaha YZF-R6 HighlightsEngine:
- Compact, lightweight 67mm x 42.5mm, 599cc DOHC 16-valve, liquid-cooled titanium-valved four-cylinder has a compression ratio of 13.1:1, for great response. Domed pistons with valve cutouts produce a compact combustion chamber.
- Fuel injection mapping for the YCC-T-Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle dual-injector system complements the high compression ratio for great throttle response and reduced engine braking.
- YCC-I-Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake electronically varies intake tract length for a broader powerband.
- A magnesium subframe removes weight from the rear of the motorcycle for increased mass centralization.
- YCC-T uses a powerful ECU and multiple sensors to provide perfect, smooth engine response and optimal power whenever the throttle is twisted under all conditions.
- Twin-injector fuel injection: shower-type injectors above each intake funnel help achieve optimum fuel atomization at high rpm.
- Slipper-type back torque-limiting clutch greatly facilitates braking and downshifting from high speed. Close-ratio six-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration.
- GP-style titanium muffler contributes to mass centralization and contains EXUP® for a broad powerband, and 02 sensor for spot-on injection and emissions compliance.
- Linerless, direct-plated ceramic-composite cylinder bores mean greater heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction.
- Cool magnesium valve and engine covers are light and stylish.
- Direct-ignition coils, dual-electrode spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver extremely accurate, reliable firing.
- Deltabox aluminum frame incorporates GP thinking in terms of engine positioning and rigidity for the ultimate in 600-class handling.
- The lightweight swingarm pivots high in the frame, for increased anti-squat effect and mid-corner stability. TZ-type chain adjusters ease rear tire changes.
- Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) inverted fork with 41mm tubes increases freedom in setting up for street or track use; soak up the bumps and resist bottoming when braking.
- Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) piggyback rear shock delivers exceptional rear wheel tracking and stability.
- Dual 310mm front disc brakes use forged one-piece radial-mount calipers and radial-pump front master cylinder with adjustable lever for astounding braking power and feel.
- The casting technique for the five-spoke 17-inch wheels makes the rims light and strong, not to mention wickedly cool-looking.
- Removable rear shock spacer and adjustable fork ride height allows the rider to tailor the ride position for the best fit and comfort.
2012 Yamaha YZF-R6 Specs:ENGINE
- Built-in lap timer is controlled by a right handlebar switch.
- Multifunction digital and analog instrumentation features: programmable shift light, digital speedometer, analog tachometer, dual tripmeters with miles-on-reserve function, odometer, water temp gauge and lights for neutral, high beam, low fuel and turn signals.
- Type: 599cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 titanium valves
- Bore x Stroke: 67.0 x 42.5mm
- Compression Ratio: 13.1:1
- Fuel Delivery: Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
- Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 6-speed w/multiplate slipper clutch
- Final Drive: O-ring chain
- Suspension / Front: 41mm inverted fork; 4-way adjustable, 4.5-in travel
- Suspension / Rear: Single shock; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel
- Brakes / Front: Dual 310mm floating disc; radial-mount 4-piston calipers
- Brakes / Rear: 220mm disc; single-piston caliper
- Tires / Front: 120/70-ZR17
- Tires / Rear: 180/55-ZR17
- Length: 80.3 in
- Width: 27.8 in
- Height: 43.1 in
- Seat Height: 33.5 in
- Wheelbase: 54.1 in
- Rake (Caster Angle): 24°
- Trail: 3.8 in
- Oil Capacity (with oil filter change): 2.75 qt
- Fuel Capacity: 4.5 gal
- Fuel Economy: 40 mpg
- Wet Weight: 417 lb
2012 Yamaha YZF-R6 Color Options / MSRP:
- Primary Reduction Ratio 85/41 (2.073)
- Secondary Reduction Ratio 45/16 (2.813)
- Gear Ratio – 1st Gear 31/12 (2.583)
- Gear Ratio – 2nd Gear 32/16 (2.000)
- Gear Ratio – 3rd Gear 30/18 (1.667)
- Gear Ratio – 4th Gear 26/18 (1.444)
- Gear Ratio – 5th Gear 27/21 (1.286)
- Gear Ratio – 6th Gear 23/20 (1.150)
- Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Available from October 2011; World GP 50th Anniversary available from January 2012
- Raven / $10,890
- Team Yamaha Blue/White / $10,890
- Pearl White/Candy Red / $11,090
- World GP 50th Anniversary Edition – Pearl White/Rapid Red / $11,390