San Diego Lites Results
The AMA Supercross Lites rookie Eli Tomac, on his 2011 Honda CRF250F, grabbed his inaugural Western SX Lites main event victory at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego before the series heads East next weekend.
The hard-charging Geico Honda rider from Cortez, Colorado had made a run for the win two weeks ago at Anaheim 2 but was denied by West series leader Josh Hansen, who still leads the West Supercross Lites points.
As the gates dropped on the San Diego Supercross Lites class main event, Tomac grabbed the holeshot and never looked back, leading wire-to-wire with a convincing win.
Behind Tomac, a stellar motorcycle racing battle ensued for the remaining podium positions among the Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki trio of Josh Hansen, Tyla Rattray, and Broc Tickle, all riding similarly prepared 2011 Kawsaki KX 250 F machines.
Also in the mix was Geico’s Jimmy Decotis and Troy Lee Designs Lucas’s Cole Seely, on differently prepared 2011 Honda CRF 250 R motorcycles. As the group of five riders traded positions, it was Rattray and Tickle who prevailed to round out the top three.
Josh Hansen, the class points leader, fell to sixth, still on the mend from a hand injury suffered at the previous round. His advantage over teammate Broc Tickle dwindled to three points.
Eli Tomac (2011 Honda CRF 250 R) says: "The first five laps I just put my head down and pulled away. It was kind of crazy," explains the Honda rider who won by over 10 seconds.
"The track was really tricky and slippery. I got a little nervous out (front), but overall it was really good. I’ve learned a lot this season and I’ve gotten a lot better in recent weeks."
2011 Western Supercross Lites Results: San Diego
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda
2. Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki
3. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki
4. Cole Seely, Corona, Calif., Honda
5. Jimmy Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
6. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
7. Ken Roczen, Germany, KTM
8. Ben Evans, Garden City, Idaho, Kawasaki
9. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
10. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha
2011 Western Supercross Lites Point Standings (San Diego)
1. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki – 128
2. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki – 125
3. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 116
4. Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki – 96
5. Cole Seely, Corona, Calif., Honda – 88
6. Ken Roczen, Germany, KTM – 83
7. Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki – 80
8. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha – 71
9. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Suzuki – 69
10. Jimmy Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda – 67
The 2011 Monster Energy AMA Supercross season continues next weekend at Atlanta’s Georgia Dome for the eighth race of the season yet only the second race of the Eastern SX Lites series.
The Western Regional Supercross Lites class Championship takes a mid-season break but will return on April 16, 2011 in Seattle.