San Diego Supercross Results
San Diego SX Results
Chad Reed returned to the top of the podium in San Diego Saturday evening, as a soaking-wet crowd of over 53,000 motorcycle racing fans withstood the rain inside Qualcomm Stadium for 2011 Monster Energy AMA / FIM Supercross. The SX event was the final of five races held in Southern California this season.
In his debut season piloting his own Two Two Motorsports team, Chad Reed on his 2011 Honda CRF 450 R captured his sixth-career San Diego win in the 450 Supercross class.
It was Reed who got the holeshot to kick-off the 20-lap supercross main event with Trey Canard on the Honda CRF450R and Red Bull’s Andrew Short on the 2011 KTM SX-F 350 in tow.
Canard quickly made his move for the top spot and held it for the first five laps before falling and stalling his bike. Reed assumed the lead and held it for the remainder of the SX main event.
Chad Reed (2011 Honda CRF450R) says: "This is incredible," comments the SX rider who has been looking to regain his status. "I‘ve put so much work into this team to make it the best it can be.
"To win with your name on your chest makes everything so much better. This one is emotional. I just followed Trey because he was showing me some lines. When he went down, it became just about putting together 20 clean laps."
Canard remounted in third, allowing San Manuel’s James ‘Bubba’ Stewart on his 2011 Yamaha YZ 450 F to take over second. However, on Lap 15, Stewart stalled his bike, falling to fourth.
While running second, Canard suffered his second fall of the evening, allowing Rockstar Makita’s Ryan Dungey on his 2011 Suzuki RM-Z 450 to secure second with Stewart (JS7) in third. They would complete the podium in that order.
Championship leader Ryan Villopoto on his 2011 Kawasaki KX 450 F crashed on the opening lap, but fought through the field to secure a seventh-place effort aboard his Monster Energy Kawasaki. He now holds a slim three-point advantage over James Stewart in the 2011 point standings.
James Stewart (2011 Yamaha YZ450F) says: "I just stalled it," comments to fastest man on motocross-wheels. "I’m trying my best. I don’t want to just throw it away like that, but I’m glad to get on the podium. I had nothing for Chad tonight, he was riding great, but I made up a lot of points."
2011 Supercross Results: San Diego
1. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
3. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
4. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
5. Davi Millsaps, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
7. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
8. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
9. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM
10. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha
2011 Supercross Point Standings (San Diego)
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 146
2. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 143
3. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda – 130
4. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda – 130
5. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 123
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM – 95
7. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 93
8. Davi Millsaps, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha – 78
9. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C, Yamaha – 76
10. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki – 66
The 2011 Monster Energy AMA Supercross series heads East and continues next weekend at Atlanta’s Georgia Dome for the eighth race of the SX season.