AMA Motocross: Southwick 450 Review
AMA MX Results
With two rounds left, Ryan Dungey has clinched the 2010 AMA Motocross title, the Rockstar Suzuki rider sweeping both motos Saturday evening at Moto-X 338 in Southwick, Mass.
Taking the overall remaining top two positions were Jagermeister KTM rider Mike Alessi (3-4) and MotoConcept Yamaha rider Matthew Goerke (6-3), respectively.
Dungey, who also won the AMA Supercross title, now equals the legendary Ricky Carmichael, as both riders are the only ones in MX history to take both titles in a rookie year.
Ryan Dungey says: “Yeah it’s kind of sunk in. It’s still pretty incredible and a dream come true but it really feels great to accomplish (the championship). I never thought I’d achieve all this at 20 (years of age). The whole season has gone by so fast and it’s all kind of a blur. I’ve just tried to take advantage of all the opportunities given to me because I know it can all go away at any moment.”
In Moto 1, it looked as if Dungey would take second place, which would have still secured his championship title. But the Belle Plaine, Minn., rider would get the win after only leading the last half of the final lap. The then race leader, Geico Powersports Honda rider Brett Metcalfe, would run out of gas, giving Dungey the lead.
Metcalfe got the holeshot, and went on to lead every lap. Out of the gate, he was followed by Lucas Oil TLD Honda rider Ben Townley, and Rockstar Energy Suzuki rider Tommy Hahn. Dungey and Alessi would be in fourth and fifth by the end of the first lap.
Townley began a charge on Metcalfe, but crashed while attempting to pass the leader. When Townley remounted his motorcycle, he again crashed with Red Bull Racing Honda rider Andrew Sort.
Dungey went to work on Hahn, grabbing second. He began challenging Metcalfe, but could not grab the lead. But on the last lap, Metcalfe ran out of gas, giving Dungey the win, followed by Hahn and Alessi.
In Moto 2, a huge crash occurred when riders left the gate. Red Bull Racing Honda rider Kevin Windham and Metcalfe got out front early, followed by Dungey and Townley. But Metcafe wouldn’t have the strong performance as he did in Moto 1; he would crash during the first lap.
Windham’s lead didn’t last long, as Dungey and Townley quickly got out front. From there on it was all Dungey, who would eventually finish over 20 seconds ahead of Townley and Georke, who missed the AMA SX season and most of the AMA MX season due to a broken leg.
The 2010 AMA Motocross Champion Dungey now has 468 points, 151 over Short. Metcalfe remains in third with 314 points, only three behind Short.
2010 AMA Motocross Moto-X 338 Southwich 450 Class Results (Moto Finish)
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki (1-1)
2. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM (3-4)
3. Matt Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., Yamaha (6-3)
4. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha (4-6)
5. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda (7-5)
6. Nick Wey, DeWitt, Mich., Kawasaki (8-9)
7. Ben Townley, New Zealand, Honda (34-2)
8. Tommy Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Suzuki (2-32)
9. Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Honda (14-7)
10. Dan Reardon, Australia, Yamaha (13-11)
2010 AMA Motocross 450 Class Championship Standings
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 468
2. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 317
3. Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Honda, 314
4. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM, 273
5. Ben Townley, New Zealand, Honda, 271
6. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha, 260
7. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha, 216
8. Chad Reed, Australia, Kawasaki, 204
9. Kyle Regal, Kemp, Texas, Honda, 201
10. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha, 194