AMA 250 MX: Southwick Report & Review
250 Motocross Results
Riders from the GEICO Powersports Honda team won both of the 250cc motos on Saturday at the Moto-X 338 National, and secured two of the three podium spots.
Trey Canard won the first moto of the day and finished third overall. Justin Barcia won moto No. 2 and was second overall to Tyla Rattray, who finished second in both motos and ended with a better combined finish.
Barcia said conquering the shifting sands of Southwick was a real challenge.
Justin Barcia says: “I got a great start in that second moto, got the lead fast and kind of checked out. It felt pretty awesome. I wish I would have got the overall win today, but second shows that we’re getting there.”
“This is the hardest track we race on all year. The bumps and the holes – I almost lost it so bad in the second moto. The sand moves and the lappers crash and blow out the turns, so it’s different every lap.”
For Canard, his seventh podium finish of the season represented a mixed bag on the day. In the second moto, Canard fell after he touched wheels with Dean Wilson. While he rallied to finish ninth in that race, Canard’s streak of four consecutive event wins was broken.
Trey Canard says: “You expect a lot of crazy stuff to happen here at this track. That second moto wasn’t a good one, but it wasn’t a disaster, either. I came out of there healthy.”
“I saw Rattray coming the last four or five laps of that first moto. I kind of made some mistakes, but pulled it together at the end. I probably had my best three laps of the day the last three laps of that moto.”
A bright spot for Canard was that he shaved three points off of Christophe Pourcel’s lead in the 250 class. Canard trails by 13 points with two events – worth 100 points total – left in the season.
Trey Canard says: “It was a good day. I felt like I struggled all day. But for it being so difficult on me and coming out the way I did, I feel fortunate.”
Rookie Eli Tomac had another strong day, finishing seventh overall after finishes of sixth and seventh at Moto-X 338.
Eli Tomac says: “Today was a solid day for me. Once again starts got me. There are a ton of really fast guys out there. But I’m definitely back to my old self again and it feels good to be back. I’m pretty close to the top guys’ pace and I’m making it through the motos without dropping off.”
It was a day full of struggles for GEICO Powersports Honda’s fourth 250 rider, Blake Wharton, who finished 11th overall after finishes of 14th and 12th.
2010 AMA Motocross Moto-X 338 Southwick 250 Class Results (Moto Finish)
1. Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki (2-2)
2. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda (4-1)
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda (1-9)
4. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda (3-5)
5. Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki (7-3)
6. Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki (5-4)
7. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda (6-7)
8. Gareth Swenapoel, South Africa, Yamaha (10-6)
9. Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Yamaha (11-8)
10. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha (8-11)
AMA Motocross 250 Class Championship Standings
1. Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki, 399
2. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 386
3. Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki, 364
4. Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki, 363
5. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 291
6. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 262
7. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda, 259
8. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha, 232
9. Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Yamaha, 210
10. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki, 195