Four More Races
Only four races remain in the 2010 Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship. Points leader Ryan Dungey and his primary challenger Ryan Villopoto continue their rivalry Saturday night at Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis.
Dungey, who rides for Rockstar Makita Suzuki, has a 12-point lead over Villopoto, who rides for Monster Energy Kawasaki. Dungey has been out front in the points chase all year. With James Stewart still out and Chad Reed just returning from injury last round, the landscape of true challengers has been diluted, not withstanding Ryan Villopoto.
Villopoto took a huge bite out of Dungey’s AMA Supercross class points lead last weekend at Houston’s Reliant Stadium. Heading into Houston, Dungey held a 21-point lead over Villopoto, but a win by Villopoto and a fifth-place finish by Dungey, who stalled his RM-Z450 in the race, tightened the points race.
The win marked Villopoto’s seventh of the season, as he led all 20 laps of the main event on his KX450F. It also sets the stage for an exciting Ryan vs Ryan battle over the last four rounds of racing.
Ryan Villopoto says: "I think this is my first actual holeshot of year. It’s always great to get (a good start). I’ve definitely struggled in practice this season. I don’t know why but I turn it around come race time. It bums me out when I look at the board in practice and I’m not on it but at end of the night it’s awesome to lead all 20 laps and come out with a win. And tonight I was able to gain a lot of points."
Geico Powersports Honda’s Kevin Windham captured a season-best second place finish on a CRF450R, while Valli Motorsports Rockstar Yamaha’s Ivan Tedesco rounded out the podium in third, mounted on a YZ450F.
Former two-time AMA Supercross class champion Chad Reed returned to racing last weekend after suffering a hand injury early in the season. Reed finished fourth for the Monster Energy Kawasaki team, his first time in his career he has finished off the podium in Houston.
Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Christophe Pourcel defended his 2009 Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Championship, clinching the title with one race remaining in the Eastern Lites series. Pourcel, riding a KX250F, captured his fifth win of the season in Houston and now owns a pair of AMA Supercross Lites class championships.
Pourcel entered Saturday’s penultimate round of the AMA Supercross Lites Eastern Regional Championship just eight points ahead of Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Austin Stroupe, of Lincolnton, N.C. However, a practice crash on his RM-Z250 in the afternoon left Stroupe on the sidelines for the race.
Christophe Pourcel says: "I didn’t know I could win the championship tonight. I always go out and race and try to win every weekend. You never know when you might win the title and I did tonight. I’m happy. I’m just going to get a good night’s rest and try to win next week. Then I can celebrate."
Tickets for the St. Louis round are available in advance at the Edward Jones Dome Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, or charge by phone at 800-745-3000 or online at www.ticketmaster.com.
Fans can also get into the Pits for free from 12:30 – 6 PM on Race Day when they recycle a Monster Energy can at the stadium Pit Entrance (Free Pit Pass offer valid only with an event ticket).
AMA Supercross Class Results: Houston
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
3. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
4. Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Kawasaki
5. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
6. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki
7. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
8. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
9. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
10. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 277 points
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 265
3. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 217
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 203
5. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 201
6. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 179
7. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 176
8. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 141
9. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki, 128
10. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha, 123
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results: Houston
1. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki
2. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki
3. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
4. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
5. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Yamaha
6. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda
7. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha
8. Jimmy Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
9. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki
10. Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Suzuki
Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki, 159 points
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki, 126
3. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 122
4. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 113
5. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki, 102
6. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha, 91
7. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki, 83
8. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda, 69
9. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Yamaha, 65
10. Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Suzuki, 58
The AMA Supercross class will air on CBS Sports on Sunday, April 18 at 2:00 p.m. EDT. The Eastern regional AMA Supercross Lites class will air on SPEED on Sunday, April 18 at 6:00 p.m. EDT.