2016 Atlanta 250SX Results
The first round of the 2016 Monster Energy Supercross East Region Championship commenced this weekend at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Ga. After seven West Region rounds, the east coast racers finally got their opportunity to get behind the gate and do some racing.
In the main event, Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/KTM’s McElrath pulled the SupercrossLive.com Holeshot Award, but fell as a result of clipping a tough block a few jumps later.
Rockstar Energy Husqvarna’s Martin Davalos inherited the lead after McElwrath crashed, and GEICO Honda’s Malcolm Stewart quickly worked his way into second place. Stewart pursued Davalos, but hit the dirt on lap eight after clipping McElrath’s downed bike. He remounted his Honda CRF250R, not losing any positions remaining in second place.
Davalos led all 15 laps of the main event to take the first East Region main event win of the 2016 season and the third of his career.
“This means a lot to me. The past few years have been tought for me,” said Davalos. “I signed with Husqvarna last year and got Epstein Barr. I decided to go change up my program and train with Timmy Ferry. He and his wife have been like family to me and I have learned a lot from them. I am blessed to be working with them.
“I had a solid race and felt the pressure from Malcolm (Stewart) the whole time. I just wanted to put in consistent laps and I feel like I did that. At about lap ten, I got caught up with a lot of lappers. I am glad I kept it on two wheels and have achieved my first win for Husqvarna. I am really proud and have worked very hard. For those who are sticking behind me, thank you very much and I am going to make you proud.”
Steward landed on the podium in second place while sophomore Yamalube/Star Racing/Yamaha rider Aaron Plessinger put his Yamaha YZ250F in third place. Behind him was his teammate, Jeremy Martin, while Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/KTM’s Justin Hill rounded out the top five in fifth place.
GEICO Honda’s RJ Hampshire, The Viewing/Fasthouse/Pacific Coast Custom’s Darryn Durham, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Tyler Bowers, Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/KTM’s Alex Frye, and Motorcycle Superstore Suzuki’s Jimmy Albertson rounded out the top 10, respectively.
Photography by Simon Cudby
2016 Atlanta 250SX Results, East Coast Regional, Atlanta:
- Martin Davalos – Husqvarna FC250
- Malcolm Stewart – Honda CRF250R
- Aaron Plessinger – Yamaha YZ250F
- Jeremy Martin – Yamaha YZ250F
- Justin Hill – KTM 250SX-F
- RJ Hampshire – Honda CRF250R
- Darryn Durham – Yamaha YZ250F
- Tyler Bowers – Kawasaki KX250F
- Alex Frye – KTM 250SX-F
- Jimmy Albertson – Suzuki RM-Z250
- Matthew Bisceglia – Suzuki RM-Z250
- Dakota Alix – KTM 250SX-F
- Benny Bloss – Yamaha YZ250F
- Gannon Audette – Kawasaki KX250F
- Marshal Weltin – Yamaha YZ250F
- Justin Starling – Kawasaki KX250F
- Anthony Rodriguez – Kawasaki KX250F
- Paul Coates – Kawasaki KX250F
- Arnaud Tonus – Kawasaki KX250F
- Jesse Wentland – Honda CRF250R
- Luke Renzland – Yamaha YZ250F
- Shane Mcelrath – KTM 250SX-F