Webb, Osborne, and Craig Take the A2 250SX Podium
Yamalube/Star Racing/Yamaha’s Cooper Webb made it three wins in a row at round three of the Monster Energy Supercross Championship at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, California. After losing his Heat race to GEICO Honda’s Christian Craig, Webb pulled a fifth place start and made his way up to fourth by lap four.
Webb passed Rockstar Energy Husqvarna’s Zach Osborne on the same lap and went by Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Joey Savatgy on lap six after the Savatgy crashed in the whoops. From there, Webb chased down Craig and the two swapped the lead several times.
Webb finally made a pass stick on lap ten and rode away for the remaining five laps to take his third victory in three races in the 2016 250SX West Region season. With his victory, Webb also became the first rider in history to win four straight races in Anaheim, dating back to last year.
“It was an awesome race,” said Webb. “Once we [Webb and Craig] started battling, it was a fun race. It felt like we traded places like 10 times. I struggled all day and made some changes coming into tonight’s main event, and it worked out.”
Osborne led Webb after three laps, eventually getting passed by the points leader. After that, Osborne rode most of the race quietly behind Webb, and passed Craig on lap 12. Craig’s third place in the 250SX Main is the best finish of his career.
Savatgy remounted his Kawasaki KX250F after his crash in the whoops and was able to salvage a fourth place finish on the night. GEICO Honda’s Jimmy Decotis won the SupercrossLive.com Holeshot Award and rounded out the top five with a fifth place finish in the main event.
GEICO Honda’s Jordon Smith, Motorcycle Superstore Suzuki’s Kyle Cunningham, Cycle Trader/Rock River/Yamaha’s Colt Nichols, Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/KTM’s Mitchell Oldenburg, and Ride365.com Honda’s Kyle Peters rounded out the top ten, respectively.
Three riders made the Main for the first time in 2016—Dirt Candy Graphic’s Luke Clout (finished 14th), Ride365.com’s Chase Marquier (16th), and Atlas Racing’s Steven Mages (22nd).
Photography by Simon Cudby
2016 Monster Energy AMA Supercross 250SX West Results – Round 3 – Anaheim
- Cooper Webb – Yamaha YZ250F
- Zach Osborne – Husqvarna FC 250
- Christian Craig – Honda CRF250R
- Joey Savatgy – Kawasaki KX250F
- Jimmy Decotis – Honda CRF250R
- Jordon Smith – Honda CRF250R
- Kyle Cunningham – Suzuki RM-Z250
- Colt Nichols – Yamaha YZ250F
- Mitchell Oldenburg – KTM 250SX-F
- Kyle Peters – Honda CRF250R
- Cole Martinez – Yamaha YZ250F
- Chris Alldredge – Kawasaki KX250F
- Michael Leib – Yamaha YZ250F
- Luke Clout – Suzuki RM-Z250
- Scott Champion – Yamaha YZ250F
- Chase Marquier – Honda CRF250R
- Hayden Mellross– Yamaha YZ250F
- Chris Howell – Husqvarna FC 250
- Alex Martin – Yamaha YZ250F
- Bracken Hall – Honda CRF250R
- Steven Mages – KTM 250SX-F
- Fredrik Noren – Honda CRF250R
2016 Monster Energy AMA Supercross 250SX West Standings (after 3 of 8 rounds)
- Cooper Webb, 75 points (3 wins)
- Zach Osborne, 57
- Joey Savatgy, 53
- Jordon Smith, 51
- Jimmy Decotis, 47
- Colt Nichols, 43
- Christian Craig, 42
- Kyle Peters, 36
- Mitchell Oldenburg, 30
- Kyle Cunningham, 28
- Alex Martin, 27
- Cole Martinez, 24
- Jessy Nelson, 22
- Chris Alldredge 21
- Michael Leib, 16
- Hayden Mellross, 15
- Cole Thompson, 12
- Trevor Reis, 12
- Mitchell Harrison, 9
- Fredrik Noren, 8