2016 Triumph Speed Triple Motorcycles | First Look
Following the release of the five-bike 2016 Triumph Bonneville lineup (Street Twin, T120 and T120 Black, Thruxton and Thruxton R), the Hinckley-based company has unveiled its 2016 Speed Triple models.
For 2016, the Triumph Speed Triple will arrive in an S and R model, each highlighted by a new 1050cc triple engine with 104 new developments that increased torque range throughout the rpm range.
Like the new Bonneville motorcycles, the Speed Triple models feature the latest in moto technology, including rider modes, and switchable traction control and ABS. Handling and aesthetics were also improved on Triumph’s new Speed Triple street fighter motorcycles.
Starting with the engine, Triumph redesigned the 1050cc inline-triple with 104 improvements, including a new combustion chamber, cylinder head, machined crank, piston design and Ride-by-Wire throttle bodies. The redesign helps add more horsepower and provides a 10-percent increase in fuel efficiency.
The 2016 Triumph Speed Triple R and S also feature a new ECU that provides five rider modes – Road, Rain, Sport, Track and a Rider Configurable mode that allows for personal setup.
The suspension on both models was tweaked for better handling, and as always, the R model arrives with Ohlins components.
Regarding design, the 2016 Triumph Speed Triple features new bodyword, and a tailpiece that takes styling from the Daytona 675R supersport that won the Daytona 200.
Stay clicked to UltimateMotorCycling.com for a First Ride once Triumph releases the 2016 Speed Triple motorcycles. No prices have been reported as of this report.
Following are the highlights for each model.
2016 Triumph Speed Triple S Highlights:
- New triple engine with 104 new components
- Improved peak power and torque spread across entire rev range
- Ride-by-Wire throttle
- 5 Rider Modes including a Track Mode
- Rider-selectable ABS
- Rider-selectable traction control linked to Rider Modes
- Brembo monobloc front brake calipers
- Fully adjustable suspension, front and rear
- Redesigned, narrower radiator
- Restyled radiator shrouds, rear bodywork and silencers
- Choice of two distinctive colorways:
- Diablo Red
- Phantom Black
2016 Triumph Speed Triple R Highlights:
- Light weight high spec body panels
- Carbon fiber front mudguard
- Carbon fiber fuel tank infill panels
- Higher specification, fully adjustable suspension:
- Öhlins NIX30 upside down front forks
- Öhlins TTX36 rear shock
- High quality finishing details:
- Billet-machined handlebar clamps, risers, swingarm pivot covers and rear wheel finisher
- Choice of two bespoke paint schemes and detailing:
- Crystal White
- Matt Graphite
- Red painted sub-frame, wheel pinstripes, radiator cowls
- Red seat stitching detail
2016 Triumph Speed Triple S and Speed Triple R Photo Gallery