Kawasaki’s Wilson Wins First 250SX Race of 2014 Supercross
2014 San Diego AMA Supercross 250SX Class Results
The Monster Energy Supercross Championship made its third and final stop of 2014 Saturday at Angel Stadium in Anaheim, Calif.
And before nearly 42,200 fans, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson took his first 250SX victory of 2014. He was joined on the overall podium by Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil Honda’s Cole Seely and Rockstar Energy Suzuki’s Cooper Webb.
When the 15-lap event began, Seely won the Nuclear Cowboyz holeshot, and led the 22-rider field through turn one. Wilson made his way into second, followed by 51Fifty Honda’s Jake Canada.
The man who arrived in Anaheim 3 with the 250SX points lead – Rockstar Energy Racing KTM’s Jason Anderson – began working his way through the field, but crashed with Troy Lee Designs/MAVTV Honda’s Malcolm Stewart. Anderson would rejoin the field in eighth, and eventually finish fifth.
While in the lead on lap 12, Seely encountered lap traffic and crashed, allowing Wilson into the lead. Wilson retained the lead, eventually taking the seventh of his career and first since winning last year’s 250SX race in Arlington, Texas.
Seely would quickly rejoin the grid, and finish second ahead of Webb, Kawasaki’s Justin Hill and Anderson.
Dean Wilson (Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki KX250F Supercross) says: “This win really means a lot to me. The race was shaping up to be exciting during those last few laps, but I received a break. This is really emotional for me. I gained some good points and we still have some races left. I am going to come out and do my best at those races.”
Wilson no moves to third in the overall point standings with 97, 12 behind the two men tied for the lead – Anderson and Seely.
The 2014 Monster Energy Supercross heads to San Diego’s Qualcomm Stadium next Saturday, February 8, for round six of 17.
2014 Anaheim 3 Monster Energy AMA Supercross 250SX Class Results:
- Dean Wilson, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Kawasaki
- Cole Seely, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., KTM
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda
- Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Honda
- Shane McElrath, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda
- Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda
- Dakota Tedder, Surfside, Calif., Kawasaki
2014 Monster Energy AMA Supercross 250SX Class Season Standings:
- Jason Anderson, Rio Rancho, N.M., KTM, 109
- Cole Seely, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 109
- Dean Wilson, Wesley Chapel, Fla., Kawasaki, 97
- Cooper Webb, Newport, N.C., Yamaha, 85
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki, 82
- Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda, 69
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Honda, 69
- Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda, 61
- Shane McElrath, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda, 55
- Dean Ferris, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 52
Photography by Don Williams