2014 Honda Interceptor VFR800F Arrives in USA (Photos, Specs)
2014 Honda Interceptor / Interceptor Deluxe Preview, Specs & Photos
One of Honda’s most versatile V4 sport platforms – the Interceptor VFR800F – is returning to American shores for 2014.
The Interceptor was last offered stateside in 2009, but was replaced by the VFR1200F for the 2010 model year. Only Europeans would get the VFR800F, a bike that remained relatively unchanged until the 2014 model debuted at EICMA in November.
The VFR (Vee-Four Road) received some major refinement, including a 22-lb. weight reduction, new suspension, new bodywork, and an LED headlight, along with optional traction control and ABS. Though it was worth noting the fresh makeover to the stateside audience, we never expected Honda to offer the VFR800F in the U.S.
But this all changed Tuesday when Honda unveiled four new 2014 models that will make it to the USA – the CB1100 Deluxe, the CBR650F, the Montesa Honda Cota 4RT Respol Edition Trials bike (!), and the new Interceptor.
Speaking of the Interceptor VFR800F, Bill Savino, Honda Powersports Press Manager, says “one area that’s uniquely Honda is the V4 sport bike segment, and this year we’ve added the Interceptor to the line. The Interceptor offers that special V-4 experience so purely Honda in feel and function, and has many upgrades to meet current customer expectations.”
The 2014 Interceptor features the iconic 782cc liquid-cooled 90° V-4 with VTEC valve-actuation technology. The VTEC era arrived on the VFR800F in 2002, helping not only increase horsepower, but also meet the stricter emissions standards of Japan. The VTEC powerplant used two of the four valves per cylinder at lower rpm, and all four above 6800 rpm.
In 2002, Honda also began marketing the bike in the USA as just the Interceptor; the VFR800F name would only be used in Europe, and this trend continues with the 2014 Interceptor.
The new Interceptor, which should produce around 106 horsepower, arrives with a new Honda Pro-Arm rear suspension that features the single-sided swingarm, 43mm front forks, 10-spoke wheels, and a revised seat featuring adjustable height. The Deluxe model adds ABS, Traction Control, grip heaters, self-canceling turn signals, and a center stand.
Honda is also offering many options that will appeal to both tourer and sport rider, including color-matched hard bags and a Quick Shifter.
Pricing should also appeal to those seeking a do-it-all sport bike – $12,499 (base), and $13,499 (Deluxe). The bike will be available in May.
Following are the features, specs, color options and MSRP for the 2014 Honda Interceptor:
2014 Honda Interceptor Features:
- Honda-exclusive VTEC engine combines the power characteristics of both two- and four-valve cylinder-head designs. The engine runs on two valves per cylinder at lower engine speeds, then switches to four valves per cylinder in a seamless transition as revs build. This results in stronger low-end and mid-range horsepower and torque while maintaining impressive high-rpm power.
- Honda Pro-Arm rear suspension system uses a new single-side swingarm to help produce excellent suspension action.
- Large-diameter 43mm fork offers spring preload for added versatility.
- Triple-box-section twin-spar aluminum frame features a tuned, pivotless design that isolates the engine-mounted swingarm from the frame for excellent sport performance and ride comfort.
- Radial-mount front brakes deliver cutting-edge stopping action.
- Riding position is more upright for greater long-range comfort.
- Seat can be adjusted for a seat height varying from 31.0 inches to 31.8 inches.
- Single-muffler exhaust system gives a new look while also saving a significant amount of weight.
- 10-spoke wheels add function and style.
- Curb weight of 527 pounds for lightweight feel.
- Meter package features a digital speedometer and tachometer, gear position indicator, MPG readout, ambient air temperature gauge and clock.
- LED taillight and headlight with accent lights provide excellent visibility and a distinctive touch.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
2014 Honda Interceptor Deluxe includes all standard features plus:
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) for added stopping confidence in varying road and weather conditions.
- Traction Control limits rear-wheel slippage during hard acceleration or during acceleration on low-traction road surfaces.
- 43mm fork includes both spring preload and rebound damping adjustability for a higher level of sport performance.
- Electronic self-canceling turn signals monitor speed, distance and time parameters for more accurate functioning.
- Grip heaters.
- Center stand,
Honda will also offer many genuine accessories, including the Heated Grips and Center stand (for non-Deluxe models), and Color-Matched Saddlebags, Saddlebag liners, Color-Matched Rear Trunk, Rear Trunk Inner Bag, Quick Shifter, Handlebar Riser, Hugger, 12-Volt Socket, Rear Carrier, Tank Pad, and Backrest.
2014 Honda Interceptor Specs:
- Engine Type: 782cc liquid-cooled 90° V-4
- Bore and Stroke: 72mm x 48mm
- Compression ratio: 11.8:1
- Valve Train: VTEC DOHC; four valves per cylinder
- Induction: PGM-FI with automatic enrichment circuit, 36mm throttle bodies
- Ignition: Digital transistorized with electronic advance
- Transmission: Close-ratio six-speed
- Final Drive: #525 O-ring-sealed chain
- Front Suspension: 43mm fork with spring preload, rebound damping adjustability (Deluxe model only); 4.3 inches travel
- Rear Suspension: Pro-Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link single shock with spring preload and rebound damping adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
- Brakes: Front – Dual radial-mount four-piston calipers with full-floating 310mm discs; Rear – Single 256mm disc
- ABS on Deluxe model (VFR800F Deluxe)
- Tires: Front – 120/70ZR-17: Rear – 180/55ZR-17
- Wheelbase: 57.4 inches
- Rake (Caster angle): 25.5°
- Trail: 95mm (3.74 inches)
- Seat Height: Adjustable; 31.0 inches to 31.8 inches
- Fuel Capacity: 5.2 gallons
- Estimated Fuel Economy: TBD
- Curb Weight: 529 pounds (VFR800F) / 536 pounds (VFR800F Deluxe)
2014 Honda Interceptor Color Options/MSRP:
- Red – $12,499; $13,499 Deluxe
- Pearl White – $12,499; $13,499