2013 Anaheim II AMA Supercross | Results
2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Results
Spoiler Alert: 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Results from Angel Stadium, Anaheim, Calif., listed below
The third round of the 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Championship headed to Angel Stadium in Anaheim, Calif., for the 59th time Saturday evening.
And for the third time this season, a different rider was victorious. Taking the checkered flag at Anaheim II was the reigning AMA SX Champion Ryan Villopoto. The Monster Energy Kawasaki KX450F pilot began 6th, but quickly worked his way to the front to take his first win of 2013.
Joining him on the Anaheim II SX podium was Muscle Milk Honda’s Trey Canard and Two-Two Motorsports Honda’s Chad Reed, respectively.
Villopoto’s teammate Jake Weimer took the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award, followed by Muscle Milk Honda’ s Justin Barcia. On the first lap, Canard passed Barcia and then Weimer for the lead.
Barcia also passed Weimer to take second, but later crashed on a triple, which ultimately ended his race. This allowed Anaheim I’s winner Davi Millsaps (Rockstar Energy Suzuki) and Villopoto into second and third, respectively.
On the fourth lap, Villopoto passed Millsaps for second, and began chasing down the leader Canard. Just before the finish line on lap five, Villopoto took the lead from Canard. He then opened a lead, eventually winning the 20-lap main by almost seven seconds over Canard.
Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX450F Supercross) says: “The season didn’t start like we wanted it to. I had a decent race in Phoenix and the team made good changes to the bike this week. We’ve finally got the ball going in the right direction and are digging ourselves out of the hole.
“Once I got into the lead, I was just trying to click of the laps and keep it consistent. The track was really slippery tonight, but I still tried to keep the pace up.”
Millsaps was engaged in a battle with Reed for the final podium position, but had a tip over on the final lap, giving third to the Australian Reed. Millsaps will finish fourth, followed by Weimer. Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey finished sixth.
Millsaps retains the 2013 AMA Supercross Championship lead with 63 points, only three ahead of Canard after three of 17 rounds.
In the Western Regional 250SX Class, GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac raced to his third consecutive victory to remain undefeated to start the season.
As the gate dropped on the Western Regional 250SX Class Main Event, Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil Honda’s Cole Seely grabbed the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award just ahead of Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen, of Germany. Behind the duo, Valli Motorsports Yamaha’s Travis Baker and Tomac battled for the third spot, Feld Motor Sports says.
Seely set a strong pace to start the 15-lap Main Event, but Roczen and Tomac stayed within striking distance, allowing the trio to open up a significant gap over the field. On Lap 8, Roczen attempted to make a pass on Seely for the lead, but it allowed Tomac to take over the position and set his sights on the top spot. Just two laps later after closing to within a fender, Tomac made an impressive outside pass on Seely to move into the lead and carried it through to the finish for his 10th career win, Feld Motors Sports says.
Eli Tomac (GEICO Honda CRF250R Supercross) says: “I definitely started off slower. I was good in one practice and struggled in the other, so it definitely made the race matter that much for the [win]. It was a great battle out there. The track was tough, so I had to keep my feet tight and the bike under control. From now on I just need to keep it on the podium.”
Roczen made a late pass to finish second, while Seely rounded out on the podium in third. Tomac’s lead now stands at nine points over Roczen, who has finished second in all three races this season. Seely has possession of third, 17 points out of the lead, Feld Motor Sports says.
Monster Energy Supercross will continue next Saturday night, January 26, at O.co Coliseum in Oakland, Calif.
2013 AMA Supercross 450 Class Results: Anaheim II:
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
3. Chad Reed, Australia, Honda
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
5. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
6. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
7. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda
8. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha
9. Matt Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., KTM
10. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha
2013 AMA Supercross 450 Class Points (after three of 17 rounds):
1. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki – 63
2. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda – 60
3. Chad Reed, Australia, Honda – 56
4. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 52
5. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 48
6. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 47
7. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda – 41
8. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda – 40
9. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki – 36
10. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha – 32
2013 AMA Supercross Western Regional 250 Class Results: Anaheim II:
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda
2. Ken Roczen, Germany, KTM
3. Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda
4. Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda
5. Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Honda
6. Christian Craig, Wildomar, Calif., Honda
7. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki
8. Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki
9. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha
10. Jessy Nelson, Paso Robles, Calif., Honda
2013 AMA Supercross Western Regional 250 Class Points:
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 75
2. Ken Roczen, Germany, KTM – 66
3. Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda – 58
4. Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Honda – 47
5. Christian Craig, Wildomar, Calif., Honda – 35
6. Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki – 35
7. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha – 35
8. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki – 32
9. Ryan Sipes, Ekron, Ky., Suzuki – 31
10. Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Kawasaki – 30