Heading into June, the Ride for Kids season is going strong. Motorcyclists in Atlanta, Richmond and Albuquerque kicked off the month by raising $262,715 for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation (PBTF) yesterday.
Atlanta riders bring $139,000
The Ride for Kids program began in Atlanta 29 years ago, and the annual event is a highlight for local riders. This year they brought $139,004 in contributions to the PBTF.
Starting from North Point Mall in Alpharetta, the ride made its way to the north Georgia mountains with brain tumor survivors Maddie, Mandy, Stacy, Julia, and Jessica.
These “stars” spoke to the crowd of 600 in Dahlonega after the ride. “I’m here today, 20 years after being diagnosed as a child, living proof that research works,” said Mandy. “I’m grateful for all of you and what you do.”
The No. 1 fundraisers were:
- Individuals: Brian & Jennifer Duke, $30,902
- Motorcycle club/chapter: North Georgia Rat Pack, $11,034
- Motorcycle business: Ken’s Motorcycle Tires, $12,175
- Special organization: Hunter’s Helping Hands, $31,616
- Congratulations to Atlanta’s drawing prize winners: Thomas Finley (Honda motorcycle); Jennifer Duke (AGV helmet and Cardo Scala Rider); Jeff Pickering (Dunlop tire); and Larry Parker (Tourmaster gift certificate).
Richmond Ride for Kids raises over $69K
Sunny skies matched the mood of the crowd at the 10th annual Richmond Ride for Kids. The event raised $69,156 for the PBTF.
Motorcyclists came to honor local brain tumor survivors Amy, Denise and Kevin, who led the scenic ride from the Times-Dispatch in Mechanicsville, Va.
Afterward, the 250 participants heard from these “stars” as well as Dr. Oren Becher, a researcher at the PBTF Institute at Duke University.
“The only way to get better therapies that are less toxic is through research that your money is helping us to find,” Becher said. “Thank you for your support in helping to find a cure for this disease.”
The leading fundraisers at the event were:
- Individual: Tony May, $20,015
- Motorcycle club/chapter: American Legion Post 284, $8,920
- Motorcycle business: Commonwealth Powersports, $8,711
- Special organization: Team Kevin, $29,325
- Richmond’s drawing prizes went to: Mike Seibert (Honda motorcycle); John Schnoering (AGV helmet); Robert Poe (Dunlop tire); Thomas Neilan (Tourmaster gift certificate) and Tom Dixon (Cardo Scala Rider).
The Richmond Ride for Kids was organized by many dedicated volunteers, led this year by Mike Seibert, Pete Nelson, Mark Johnson and Ellaine Wilson.
Land of Enchantment ride tops $54,000
New Mexico hosted its seventh Ride for Kids on June 3, and local motorcyclists contributed $54,555 to the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation.
The PBTF uses the funds for medical research and family support that helps Albuquerque brain tumor survivors like Jaiden, Octavio, Sage, Simmie, Megan, Matthew, and Danielle.
As the “stars” of the day, they had a place of honor in the ride as it left Mesa del Sol Fields at Journal Pavilion. The route included a lap around Napa Speedway and gorgeous desert scenery.
After the ride, Matthew’s mother thanked the 150 participants for contributing to her son’s progress. “When you get to see the kids moving on is what makes what you do so worthwhile and rewarding,” she said.
Albuquerque’s top fundraisers were:
- Individuals: Tom & Donna Mitchell, $12,625
- Motorcycle club/chapter: GWRRA NM-W, $14,236
- Motorcycle business: Accessory Pit, $27,349
- Special organization: Mitchell Family, $13,128
- The winners of the donated drawing prizes were Ken Watson (Honda motorcycle); Richard Mummey (Dunlop tire); Deane Crawforth (AGV helmet); Rick Howell (Tourmaster gift certificate) and Cindy Cassidy (Cardo Scala Rider).
Local volunteers worked hard all year on this event. Special thanks went to task force leaders Rick and Lynda Howell, Jackie Cooke, and Ralph and Robynn French.
About the PBTF Ride for Kids
Ride for Kids supports the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation (PBTF) by funding medical research and family support programs. The organization thanks their presenting sponsor, Honda Riders Club of America, and our national insurance sponsor, GEICO. The next Ride for Kids events are on Sunday, June 10 in Cleveland and Golden, Colo. Learn more at rideforkids.org or call 800-253-6530.