2012 AMA Supercross
Spoiler Alert: 2012 AMA Supercross results from Roger Centre, Toronto, Canada, listed below
For the fifth consecutive year, the AMA Supercross Championship headed far north to Toronto, Canada, for Round 12 of 17.
And before 47,010 fans, Ryan Villopoto piloted his Monster Energy Kawasaki KX450F to his seventh win of the season, one step closer to defending his title.
Joining the Washington native on the Toronto SX podium was Team Honda Muscle Milk’s Justin Brayton and GEICO Honda Kevin Windham.
Grabbing the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot was Brayton, followed by Villopoto and Millsaps. Brayton went on to lead the first lap, but was quickly passed on the second lap by Villopoto, who maintained the lead to the checkered flag of the 20-lap event.
Villopoto had a small bobble on the whoops during the third lap, allowing Brayton to close in. But Villopoto began putting in the best laps of the season, winning by over nine seconds ahead of Brayton.
Although Windham was sore due to multiple crashes at Indianapolis SX last week, the 34-year old battled through the pain to take third. He remained in sixth for most of the race, but was able to take the final-podium position after passing Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Jake Weimer and JGRMX/Toyota Yamaha’s Davi Millsaps.
The win for Villopoto arrived while two of his major rivals were out injured – Joe Gibbs Racing/Toyota Yamaha’s James Stewart and Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey.
Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX450F Supercross) says: "Out of the first turn, it was just me and Brayton right off the bat. I made some pretty big mistakes in the whoops. They were tough. We’ll go to Houston, where I think there’s a chance to wrap up the title. That’s the plan."
With his seventh win, Villopoto has 271 points, 79 ahead of Dungey. Stewart, who is expected to return next week at Reliant Stadium in Houston, is in third with 177 points.
In the Supercross Lites Eastern Regional Championship, GEICO Honda’s Justin Barcia returned to his winning ways, taking his fifth win of six races so far this season.
Barcia was first out of the gate, followed by Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen and Eleven10 Mods Honda’s Alex Martin. Roczen was able to pass Barcia on the opening, lap, and a battle began.
But on the third lap, Barcia regained the lead, and began pulling away from the field. He would take the win by over seven seconds ahead of Roczen. Taking the final podium position was Rockstar Energy Racing Suzuki’s Blake Wharton.
Justin Barcia (GEICO Honda CRF250R Supercross) says: "Right now I couldn’t be (happier). I got my first win here two years ago. My GEICO Honda was hooking up great. This track was really tough tonight. You had to be really smart and really smooth. I made a great pass for the lead and kind of just rode my own race from there."
Barcia now holds a 28-point lead over Wharton in the Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class.
2012 AMA Supercross Class Results: Toronto:
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
3. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
5. Jake Weimer, Wildomar, Idaho, Kawasaki
6. Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
7. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Kawasaki
8. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki
9. Robert Kiniry, Holland Patent, NY, Yamaha
10. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda
2012 AMA Supercross Class Season Standings:
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 271
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 192
3. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 177
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 169
5. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 166
6. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 165
7. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 150
8. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 145
9. Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Calif., Suzuki – 136
10. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda – 128
2012 Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results: Toronto:
1. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
2. Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
3. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki
4. Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Honda
5. Darryn Durham, Butler, Pa, Kawasaki
6. Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda
7. Tommy Weeck, Menifee, Calif., Honda
8. Justing Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda
9. Matthew Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Kawasaki
10. Jeffrey Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
2012 Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings:
1. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda – 145
2. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki – 117
3. Darryn Durham, Butler, Pa., Kawasaki – 114
4. Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM – 102
5. Jake Canada, Sun City, Calif., Honda – 90
6. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki – 86
7. Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda – 74
8. Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., KTM – 50
9. Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda – 50
10. Matthew Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Kawasaki – 46