2012 Suzuki Motorcycle
After a two-year hiatus in America, the Suzuki V-Strom 1000 returns for 2012, although not with major revision.
But though its basically a carry-over model from the last edition of the V-Strom 1000 in 2009, for 2012 its offered in the standard series and a new Adventure series.The V-Strom 1000, which is part of the Sport Enduro Touring category Suzuki nicknamed with the original V-Strom DL1000 in 2002, was designed to provide the rider a machine capable of taking on everything from the street to some off-road Adventure ridingThe 2012 V-Strom 1000 features a fuel-injected, 90-degree V-Twin that’s tuned for low- and mid-range torque. The engine is hooked to a six-speed transmission with a hydraulic clutch for effortless pulls, and a final-chain drive.The V-Strom 1000’s chassis was designed to comfortably take on the twisties, but also has 6.5 inches of ground clearance for those adventurous back roads. The front suspension utilizes a 43mm fork, and the rear a link-type suspension, both providing 6.3 inches of travel.For ultimate rider comfort, the V-Strom was designed with an upright riding position, a windscreen that’s adjustable in three heights, hand guards, a comfortable seat and aerodynamic bodywork. For 2012, the standard V-Strom arrives in two colors – Pearl Mira Red and Pearl Nebular Black.But for those who do a bit more long-distance touring, Suzuki also offers the V-Strom 1000 Adventure, which features spacious top- and side cases, and a Pearl Nebular Black color.Suzuki returns with the V-Strom 1000 after only offering its younger sibling, the 650, for the past two years. The V-Strom 1000’s intention is to appeal to the rider who needs that bit of extra power from the 1000cc V-Twin that proved itself reliable since the V-Strom 1000’s debut in 2002.Following are the highlights, specs, color options and MSRP for the 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 and V-Strom 1000 Adventure.2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (Adventure) Highlights:Engine
- 996cc Liquid-cooled, Suzuki fuel-injected, 90-degree V-twin engine with four valves per cyclinder, dual-overhead cams and oil provides exceptional low-end and mid-range torgue for exhilarating performance.
- Advanced digital engine management system featureing Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV), delivers optimum combustion efficiency for linear response, fuel economy and superior low-end torque along with low emissions.
- Auto Fast Idling System (AFIS) automatically sets throttle valve opening during cold engine starts by monitoring coolant temperature.
- Digital ignition system provides optimum ignition timing with seperate maps for each cyclinder to provide outstanding performance and smooth throttle response.
- Semi-gear driven valve system simplifies maintenance and minimizes cam sprocket size and engine height for optimum engine placement. A short crankshaft and staggered transmission shafts further contribute to the light and compact design.
- Lightweight shim-under-bucket valve system operates 36mm intake and 33mm exhaust valves, with valve timing designed to enhance low-RPM power.
- SCEM (Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material) plated cyclinders for durability, weight reduction and superior heat transfer, working together with a high-efficiency liquid cooling system includes a compact oil cooler for optimum engine operating temperature.
- High-mounted stainless steel exhaust system with aluminum mufflers are tuned to enhance engine torque.
- PAIR (Pulsed-AIR) system injects fresh air into the exhaust port after the exhaust valves open to ignite unbunred hydrocarbons, further reducing emissions.
- Smooth-shifting six-speed transmission with sixth gear overdrive features a hydraulic clutch for light pull at the lever improving rider comfort.
- Lightweight magnesium valve and ignition covers are complemented by a sound deadening plastic outer clutch cover.
- Lightweight, compact and rigid aluminum twin-spar frame and swingarm provide agile handling. A bolt-on sub-frame simplifies maintenance.
- Cartridge-style 43mm front forks with adjustable preload provides 6.3 inches of wheel travel for a comfortable ride.
- Link-type rear suspension features 6.3 inches of wheel travel and a piggyback-style shock absorber with adjustable rebound damping and a knob-operated hydraulic preload adjuster.
- Multi-reflector 60W/55W headlights.
- Easy-to-read instruments include a large speedometer and tach dials, plus LCD display for fuel level, engine temperature, odometer, tripmeters and clock.
- Engine undercover panel is designed for ample ground clearance and sleek appearance.
- Large rear luggage rack features a rubber-padded platform to help keep bags and luggage in place.
- Rugged seat cover material enhances comfort and durability.
- Dual front dist brakes with large 310mm rotors and twin-piston calipers, plus a single-disc rear brake with 260mm rotor and single-piston caliper provide strong stopping power.
- Lightweight cast aluminum wheels with DualSport-style tires for optimum traction.
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Specs:
- Upright, relaxed riding position, well-padded seat and aerodynamic fairing provide all-day-long comfort.
- Height-adjustable windshield for increased wind protection and comfort can be adjusted to three positions in a 50mm vertical range, work together with hand guards designed for maximum wind protection.
- Large 5.8 gallon fuel tank for long-range operation
2012 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Color Option/MSRP:
- Bore Stroke: 98.0 mm (3.858 in) x 66.0 mm (2.598 in)
- Compression Ratio: 11.3 : 1
- Engine: 996 cc (60.8 cu. In), 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 90-degree V-twin 9
- Fuel System: Fuel injection
- Ignition: Electronic ignition (Transistorized)
- Lubrication: Wet sump
- Brakes Front: Disc brake, twin
- Brakes Rear: Disc brake
- Curb Weight: 238 kg (525 lbs) (Adventure, TBD)
- Final Drive: RK525 SMOZ7, 112 link
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 22 L (5.8/4.8 US/Imp gal)
- Ground Clearance: 165 mm (6.5 in)
- Overall Length: 2295 mm (90.4 in)
- Overall Width: 910 mm (35.8 in) (Advenutre, TBD)
- Seat Height: 840 mm (33.1 in)
- Suspension Front: Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
- Suspension Rear: Link type, coil spring, oil damped
- Tires Front : 110/80 R19 M/C 59H, tubeless
- Tires Rear: 150/70 R17 M/C 69H, tubeless
- Transmission: 6-speed constant mesh
- Wheelbase: 1535 mm (60.4 in)
- Warranty:12 month unlimited mileage limited warranty.
- Pearl Mira Red/Black / $10,399
- Pearl Nebular Black / $10,399
- Pearl Nebular Black (Adventure) / $10,999