2012 Star Roadliner S | Preview
2012 Star Motorcycle
For 2012, Star Motorcycles continues to offer the biggest cruiser in its lineup with minimal changes – the Roadliner S.
And this machine is big – the Roadliner S features an air-cooled 113-ci (1854cc) V-Twin that produces over 110 ft. lbs. of torque, with Twin-bore downdraft electronic fuel injection that provides “optimum engine efficiency and throttle response in the widest possible range of conditions.” Engine efficiency? How about 42 mpg from the large engine.
And with this monster-motor arrives some distinctive looks due to the neo-streamline design. The aluminum frame provides a low stature, which enhances light handling unlike many other full-sized cruisers.
And chrome is plentiful on this Star, a company owned by Yamaha; the 2012 Star Roadliner S features chrome switchgear, front brake and clutch master cylinders and levers, belt guard, fork and fork covers, handlebar clamps, shifter, front pulley cover, various engine covers, rear fender stay and polished wheels.
The only new feature on the 2012 Roadliner S is a redesigned tank emblem for a “modern look.”
Following are the highlights, specs, color option and MSRP for the 2012 Star Roadliner S.
2012 Star Roadliner S Highlights:
- 113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled, pushrod 48-degree V-twin has massive looks and performance.
- Four pushrod-activated valves and two spark plugs per cylinder provides optimum combustion efficiency.
- Ceramic-composite plated cylinders for superior heat dissipation with forged pistons cooled by oil jets. Provides outstanding reliability and longer engine life.
- 9.48:1 compression ratio and aggressive cam timing increase power output across the board.
- Computer-controlled, twin-bore, fuel injection monitors multiple engine parameters to calculate perfect mixture under all conditions; wide-angle 12-hole fuel injectors provide excellent atomization.
- Exhaust Ultimate Power valve (EXUP) inside the two-into-one exhaust system boosts torque.
- Special custom-machining of the cooling fin edges gives a jewel-like appearance to the engine as light hits it from different angles.
- 3300 rpm at 75 mph gives some idea of the Roadliner S’s power and cruisability. Maximum torque is reached at only 2500 rpm.
- Aluminum frame is light, rigid, and requires few welds for a smooth, clean look. A light, Controlled-Fill die-cast swingarm complements the bike’s streamline style and reduces unsprung weight for great handling.
- 46mm fork tubes serve up an excellent ride and a sweet appearance.
- A tucked-out-of-sight single shock with adjustable spring preload out back provides a smooth ride under varying loads.
- A thick, richly chromed 1.25-inch handlebar in chrome clamps carries the Stratoliner Deluxe’s switchgear wiring on the inside.
- Flangeless, teardrop fuel tank carries a full 4.5 gallons of fuel.
- 12-spoke wheels evoke a thick spoke look, but carry modern tubeless radial tires; a 130/70-18 front and a fat, 190/60-17 rear for excellent grip.
- Front brake master cylinder with integrated lever operates a pair of 298mm front discs squeezed by strong monoblock calipers for excellent power, feel, and great style.
- Strong-and-light belt final drive routes power smoothly and efficiently to the rear wheel.
- Floating floorboards and an adjustable heel/toe shifter help provide a comfortable, low-effort ride.
- A sculpted seat makes the Roadliner S an excellent place to sit on long rides. Improves long range comfort.
- Position beams within the main headlight housing provide great visibility.
- Left-thumb operated high-beam switch, and right-thumb activated accessory driving light switch for great visibility.
- Classic clock-style instrumentation complement Roadliner S’s neo-retro look and contains analog speedometer, tachometer and fuel gauge, along with twin digital tripmeters and odometer.
- Bright multireflector headlight, LED taillight and amber turn signals behind clear lenses give a custom look.
2012 Star Roadliner S Specs:
- Type: 113-cubic-inch (1854cc) air-cooled 48° V-twin; pushrod OHV, 4 valves/cylinder
- Bore x Stroke: 100mm x 118mm
- Compression Ratio: 9.48:1
- Fuel Delivery: Twin-Bore electronic fuel injection;throttle position sensor
- Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 5-speed; multiplate wet clutch
- Final Drive: Belt
- Frame: Aluminum
- Suspension / Front: 46mm telescopic fork; 5.1-in travel
- Suspension / Rear: Single shock; 4.3-in travel
- Brakes / Front: Dual hydraulic disc, 298mm
- Brakes / Rear: Hydraulic disc, 320mm
- Tires / Front: 130/70-18
- Tires / Rear: 190/60-17
- Wheels: 12-spoke cast
- Length: 102.0 in
- Width: 41.5 in
- Height: 43.3 in
- Seat Height: 27.8 in
- Wheelbase: 67.5 in
- Ground Clearance: 6.1 in
- Fuel Capacity: 4.5 gal
- Fuel Economy: 42 mpg
- Wet Weight: 750 lbs.
- Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
2012 Star Roadliner S Color Option/MSRP:
- Seashell / $15,390
February ’12/California March ’12Google+