Freestyle MX: Sheenan Takes 6th Win
2011 Night of the Jumps
On Sunday, the Russian city of Penza witnessed the gigantic climax to a mega weekend of international FIM freestyle motocross.
Once again, the rugby stadium was completely sold out. Over 10,000 visitors flocked to the two FIM Freestyle MX World Championship competitions held in the context of NIGHT of the JUMPs. On the second day too, Josh Sheehan (AUS) flipped his way to victory and became FMX tsar of Russia. What’s more, this sixth Freestyle MX victory in succession sets a new record for NIGHT of the JUMPs.
Just like 24 hours before, 15 freestyle motocross riders from seven countries embarked on a qualifying mission. The trio of Russian Freestyle MX motorcycling cosmonauts were even more impressive second time round, but it still wasn’t enough to get any of them into the final.
Causing a stir by going out at the same stage were two-time world Freestyle Motocross champion Remi Bizouard (FRA) and reigning Freestyle Motocross champion Libor Podmol (CZE). The Frenchman did not perform any of his more daring flip combinations, while the Czech rider forgot one of his tricks. The fans also had to bid a fond farewell to Massimo Bianconcini (ITA), Romain Izzo (FRA), Lukas Weis (GER) and Hannes Ackermann (GER) after the preliminary round.
Ackermann was injured on his second Freestyle Motocross jump, while Weis and Bianconcini made decent runs that got them no further. Which meant that Fabian Bauersachs (GER), David Rinaldo (FRA), Jose Miralles (ESP), Maikel Melero (ESP), Javier Villegas (CHL) and Josh Sheehan were the six names going forward into final.
The crowd erupted when local hero Michael Yarygin prevailed against Josh Sheehan in the Whip Contest. Maikel Melero was once again unassailable in the Maxxis High Air.
Fabian Bauersachs opened Sunday’s grand finale with a clean run which earned him a creditable sixth place. Jose Miralles stuck to his usual routine, which left him no better off than his qualifying position of fifth.
David Rinaldo showed off all his best tricks, such as Airplane and Double Seatgrab Flip, to convert a qualifying P4 into a P2 podium. Maikel Melero also charmed the judges to take the third podium spot. Javier Villegas, however, had to settle for an unaccustomed fourth place: although he pulled out all the toughest tricks in his repertoire, it wasn’t enough to get him into the Top 3 today.
But reigning supreme once again was Australia’s secret FMX weapon, Josh Sheehan, who performed 360s and flips as if they were second nature and dominated the whole field of riders with sheer perfection of style.
This second victory at the Russian Grand Prix has propelled Sheehan to sixth in the FIM Freestyle MX World Championship standings. Still heading the table is Villegas with an 18-point lead over Jose Miralles. Meanwhile, Remi Bizouard has slipped back to third.
NIGHT of the JUMPs now begins a four-month summer break and will return on October 22 with the eighth round of the FIM Freestyle MX World Championship in Riga.
FIM Freestyle MX World Championships: Penza, June, 19 2011 – Round 7 Results
1. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda 482 points
2. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 440 points
3. Maikel Melero ESP RFME Yamaha 430 points
4. Javier Villegas CHL AMA Yamaha 426 points
5. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 413 points
6. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB KTM 358 points
FIM Freestyle Motocross Results Qualification
1. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda 426 points
2. Javier Villegas CHL AMA Yamaha 418 points
3. Maikel Melero ESP RFME Yamaha 385 points
4. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 383 points
5. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 367 points
6. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB KTM 356 points
7. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 354 points
8. Massimo Bianconcini ITA DMSB KTM 344 points
9. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 344 points
10. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 338 points
11. Romain Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 272 points
12. Nikolay Ivankov RUS MFR Honda 256 points
13. Michael Jarygin RUS MFR Honda 245 points
14. Vladimir Jarygin RUS MFR Honda 209 points
15. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 46 points
FIM Freestyle Motocross Results Whip Contest
1. Michael Jarygin RUS MFR Honda
2. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda
FIM Freestyle Motocross Results MAXXIS Highest Air
1. Maikel Melero ESP RFME Yamaha 7,80 meter
2. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 7,60 meter
FIM Freestyle MX World Championships Ranking (after 7th contest)
1. Javier Villegas CHL AMA Yamaha 118 points
2. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 100 points
3. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 97 points
4. Maikel Melero ESP RFME Yamaha 86 points
5. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 81 points
6. Josh Sheehan AUS MA Honda 80 points
7. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 76 points
8. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB KTM 57 points
9. Romain Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 52 points
10. Massimo Bianconcini ITAL ACCR KTM 36 points
11. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 36 points
12. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 35 points
13. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 17 points
14. Kai Haase GER DMSB Suzuki 10 points
15. Nikolay Ivankov RUS MFR Honda 7 points