2011 World Supersport Results
Chaz Davies provided a remarkable race in Sunday afternoon’s Spanish heat at Motorland Aragon to claim his third World Supersport victory of the season and fifth race win for the Yamaha ParkinGO team.
A perfect start from fourth position on the grid saw Davies shoot into second place. The Brit immediately set the World Supersport pace and was consistent throughout.
Closely tailing Parkes for the first 15 laps, Davies moved in and was ready to take the lead, when the Australian crashed out of contention. Davies crossed the finish line just half a second ahead of fellow Brit Sam Lowes, in second.
Yamaha Supersport teammate Luca Scassa had a less fortunate race day in Aragon. Struggling to maintain the pace, the Italian lost the front of his machine causing him to crash out with just four laps to go.
Yamaha have further increased the gap in the manufacturer’s standings now leading by 27 points. Davies leaves Aragon topping the rider’s standings with a total of 105 points, 20 points ahead of Parkes in second.
Scassa now sitting in fourth place with 70 points, is just one point behind Salom in third. Yamaha ParkinGo team head to Brno for round seven of the WSS Championship in just three weeks’ time.
Chaz Davies (Yamaha ParkinGO Team R6 Supersport) says: “It was a very good day especially considering all the issues I had throughout the weekend. I went into the race a bit blind and knowing that Parkes was so strong all weekend.
“I wasn’t sure what to expect but I figured if I could hold on for the first 10 laps and make the tyres last that I’d probably be ok. I just had to make sure I kept the pace till the very end. I can’t thank the team enough for the hard work all weekend, they were amazing. It’s a pretty great bonus after such a difficult weekend. A huge thanks to all the crew, to Yamaha, Monster Energy and all my sponsors.”
2011 World Supersport: Motorland Aragon Results (18 Laps)
1. Chaz Davies Yamaha GBR 37’06.751
2. Sam Lowes Honda GBR 0’00.564
3. David Salom Kawasaki ESP 0’04.645
4. Massimo Roccoli Kawasaki ITA 0’10.984
5. Roberto Tamburini Yamaha ITA 0’23.792
6. Gino Rea Honda GBR 0’24.009
7. Fabien Foret Honda FRA 0’24.297
8. Robbin Harms Honda DNK 0’33.850
9. Miguel Praia Honda POR 0’42.657
10. Florian Marino Honda FRA 0’42.658
11. Vladimir Ivanov Honda RUS 0’56.947
12. Balazs Nemeth Honda HUN 1’02.633
13. Pawel Szkopek Honda POL 1’06.378
14. Danilo Dell’omo Triumph ITA 1’12.983
15. Imre Toth Honda HUN 1’21.663
Aragon World Supersport: Best Lap
Sam Lowes Honda GBR 2’02.785
World Supersport World Standing (After Race 6 of 12)
1. Chaz Davies Yamaha GBR 105
2. Broc Parkes Kawasaki AUS 85
3. David Salom Kawasaki ESP 71
4. Luca Scassa Yamaha ITA 70
5. Fabien Foret Honda FRA 65
6. Sam Lowes Honda GBR 63
7. Robbin Harms Honda DNK 59
8. Massimo Roccoli Kawasaki ITA 39
9. Florian Marino Honda FRA 37
10. Roberto Tamburini Yamaha ITA 32
11. Gino Rea Honda GBR 32
12. James Ellison Honda GBR 28
13. Miguel Praia Honda POR 24
14. Balazs Nemeth Honda HUN 16
15. Danilo Dell’omo Triumph ITA 15