Night of the Jumps: FMX Mannheim
Over 8,000 spectators packed out the SAP Arena in Mannheim Saturday to watch the UEM Freestyle Motocross European Cup decider at the NIGHT of the JUMPs.
The thrilling freestyle motocross final may well have seen Brice Izzo carry off the honours on the evening, but second place for Brody Wilson from the USA was good enough for overall victory in the UEM Freestyle European Cup.
Twelve FMX riders from seven different countries turned out for the European Open and laid on a sensational display of tricks. David Rinaldo pulled a Double Seatgrab Flip out of the bag – a premiere for the NIGHT of the JUMPs.
Alastair Sayer produced his first ever Superman Seatgrab Flip. Not to be outdone, Lukas Weis performed a Onehand Underflip, while Petr Pilat was reeling off one flip combination after another. Carrying the hopes of Germany into the freestyle motocross final was Fabian Bauersachs.
Qualifying next were Alastair Sayer, Brody Wilson, Libor Podmol, Jose Miralles and Brice Izzo. World Champion Remi Bizouard’s bike did not arrive at the venue until just before qualifying was about to begin, so he had virtually no opportunity to warm up. Consequently, he decided to restrict himself to just three show jumps, which was only good enough for last place.
The Race & Style motocross event was keenly contested. German rising star Kai Haase was only narrowly edged out by Jose Miralles. Victory in the Continental Highest Air went to Africa’s high-jump specialist Alastair Sayer.
And the latest darling of the German FMX scene, Luc Ackermann, was also given free rein to delight the crowd with his skills, including a backflip.
The final at the SAP Arena in Mannheim then turned into a head-to-head between Brody Wilson and Brice Izzo as the pair of them battled it out for the European FMX title. In the double-up, Wilson produced a Tsunami Flip Indy.
Brice Izzo trumped this with a Stripper Flip to take the points on the night. But the American’s second-place finish was still good enough to secure him overall victory. Jose Miralles came third ahead of Libor Podmol. Fabian Bauersachs narrowly missed out on fifth to Alastair Sayer, who produced his best NIGHT of the JUMPs run in 2010.
The tour continues over the weekend of Nov. 20-21 in the Czech city of Ostrava. On the program are the next two contests in the FIM Freestyle MX World Championship.
Night of the Jumps / UEM Freestyle European Cup : Mannheim Germany Results (Oct. 30, 2010):
Results NIGHT of the JUMPs – Final
1. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 423 Points
2. Brody Wilson USA AMA Yamaha 407 Points
3. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 398 Points
4. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 398 Points
5. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki 372 Points
6. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB Suzuki 355 Points
1. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 378 Points
2. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 375 Points
3. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 373 Points
4. Brody Wilson USA AMA Yamaha 367 Points
5. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki 349 Points
6. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB Suzuki 339 Points
7. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 338 Points
8. Massimo Bianconcini ITA KTM DMSB 323 Points
9. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 321 Points
10. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 315 Points
11. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 284 Points
12. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 10 Points
Race & Style Contest
1. Jose Miralles ESP KTM
2. Kai Haase GER Suzuki
3. Lukas Weis GER Suzuki
3. Brice Izzo FRA Yamaha
Results Highest Air Contest
1. Alastair Sayer BOT 8,50 Meter
2. Kai Haase GER 8,50 Meter
3. Lukas Weis GER 8,00 Meter
Overall ranking UEM Freestyle European Cup
(after all contests)
1. Brody Wilson USA AMA Yamaha 56 Points
2. Brice Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 50 Points
3. Jose Miralles ESP RFME KTM 46 Points
4. Rob Adelberg AUS MA Yamaha 38 Points
5. Petr Pilat CZE ACCR KTM 33 Points
6. Lukas Weis GER DMSB Suzuki 22 Points
7. David Rinaldo FRA FFM Yamaha 21 Points
8. Romain Izzo FRA FFM Yamaha 20 Points
9. Alastair Sayer BOT MSA Suzuki 18 Points
10. Martin Koren CZE ACCR KTM 17 Points
11. Hannes Ackermann GER DMSB KTM 15 Points
12. Libor Podmol CZE ACCR Suzuki 14 Points
13. William v.d. Putte BEL FMB KTM 11 Points
14. Fabian Bauersachs GER DMSB Suzuki 10 Points
15. Martin Schenk AUT OSK Yamaha 8 Points
16. Massimo Bianconcini ITA KTM DMSB 8 Points
17. Remi Bizouard FRA FFM Yamaha 4 Points