During the 20-minute warm-up for the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix, Round 11 of the 2010 MotoGP Championship, Jorge Lorenzo was fastest, the Fiat Yamaha rider posting a 1:40.482, just over a tenth slower than his second-position qualifying time.
Second fastest before Sunday’s Indy race was Repsol Honda rider Dani Pedrosa, who was 0.226 of a second slower than the series leader Lorenzo.
The pole-sitter Ben Spies took third fastest, just three-thousandths of a second slower than Pedrosa. The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 satellite rider will be moving to the factory team next year, and will be teammates with Lorenzo.
Rounding out the top-five qualifiers were Ducati Team rider Casey Stoner and Pedrosa’s teammate Andrea Dovizioso.
Nine-time World Champion Valentino Rossi is not having much luck at Indy, the Italian crashing his Fiat Yamaha M1 during warm up, which was his third crash of the weekend. Despite going down, the reigning champ remounted his motorcycle, and was sixth fastest.
The other American starting on the front row, Nicky Hayden, was seventh fastest on his Ducati Team GP10. The last American currently competing in MotoGP, Spies’ teammate Colin Edwards, was 12th quickest during warm up.
Indy Warm-Up Results:
1. Jorge Lonrezo, Fiat Yamaha
2. Dani Pedrosa, Repsol Honda
3. Ben Spies, Monster Yamaha Tech 3
4. Casey Stoner, Ducati Team
5. Andrea Dovizioso
6. Valentino Rossi, Fiat Yamaha
7. Nicky Hayden, Ducati Team
8. Hector Barbera, Paginas Aspar Ducati
9. Marco Melandri, San Carlo Honda
10. Alvaro Bautista, Rizla Suzuki
11. Mika Kallio, Pramac Racing Ducati
12. Colin Edwards, Monster Yamaha Tech 3
13. Aleix Espargaro, Pramac Racing Ducati
14. Marco Simoncelli, San Carlo Honda
15. Randy de Puniet, LCR Honda
16. Hiroshi Aoyama, Interwetten Honda
17. Loris Capirossi, Rizla Suzuki