AMA Motocross: Unadilla Results
AMA 450 MX
During the three-week break of the Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship, Ryan Dungey reported he did much extra training for the Unadilla race, not wanting to slow his momentum down.
The Rockstar Makita Suzuki rider’s hard work paid off, as he simply dominated at Unadilla Saturday, sweeping both motos. Taking second in both motos was Dungey’s guest teammate Clemente Desalle, and third went to Geico Powersports Honda rider Brett Metcalfe after a 5-2 moto finish.
Ryan Dungey says: “I got a good start in Moto 1 and put myself in position to lead laps and take the win. I wasn’t thinking of the overall (in Moto 2). I just race to win every time out. Clement (Desalle) surprised me. It’s not easy to come over (to the states) and do well. It was good for him and good for us to have a competitive moto.”
Desalle was the special quest from overseas who ran stateside for Unadilla. The man from Belgium is currently a competitor in the FIM Grand Prix MX, and earned a pair of overall wins in Europe, sitting second in that championship. He made his U.S. debut last season at Washougal, finishing tenth (and third in the opening moto).
The news that trumped all was the return of San Manuel rider James Stewart. In moto 1, Stewart made it ahead of Desalle for second place, but the Belgium rider retook his position. But the Floridian didn’t have luck in Moto2, finishing 35th, giving him an overall finish of 11th on his big return race.
Dungey grabbed the holeshot in Moto 1, and lead every lap of the race. In Moto 2, he started off in the middle of the pack, but soon fought his way to the front to sweep both motos.
Dungey’s win makes for eight rounds in a row, and now gives him 418 points in the championship, a whopping 111 points over Honda Red Bull Racing rider Andrew Short. The only other rider to win a round this season was Monster Energy Kawasaki rider Chad Reed, who won the opening round at Hangtown.
If Dungey wins the next round at Southwick, he can seal off the championship before the 12-race schedule, as he did when he won the AMA Supercross Championship. Also, if he wins one more race, he will tie the record for most wins by a rookie, currently held by 10-time AMA Motocross Champion Ricky Carmichael.
2010 Motocross Unadilla Results, 450 Class
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki (1-1)
- Clement Desalle, Belgium, Suzuki (2-2)
- Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Honda (5-3)
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda (4-5)
- Kyle Regal, Kemp, Texas, Honda (8-6)
- Ben Townley, New Zealand, Honda (7-9)
- Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha (9-8)
- Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha (11-7)
- Josh Grant, Riverside, Fla., Yamaha (6-14)
- Tommy Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Suzuki (10-11)
450 Class Championship Standings
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 418
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 307
- Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Honda, 293
- Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha, 260
- Ben Townley, New Zealand, Honda, 249
- Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM, 235
- Chad Reed, Australia, Kawasaki, 204
- Kyle Regal, Kemp, Texas, Honda, 185
- Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha, 183
- Ryan Sipes, Flaherty, Texas, Yamaha, 181