250 Moto HangtownMonster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Christophe Pourcel left the 2010 AMA Motocross season opener in Sacramento, Calif. tied for the points lead after finishing second overall with moto finishes of 1-3.
His teammate Jake Weimer was fourth overall with Dean Wilson sixth overall and Tyla Rattray 11th overall.Pourcel started off on the right foot earning the first gate pick with the fastest time in overall qualifying. Weimer was fifth in qualifying, Rattray 10th and Wilson 11th. Jake Weimer says: "I feel like I rode better than my results show," said Weimer. "I’ve been working hard on my outdoor program and I feel really good about it. I need to work on my starts so I can get out front early and not have to worry about finding a way around the other riders."In the first moto, both Pourcel and Wilson jumped out to good starts with Pourcel taking the lead on the first lap and Wilson holding down the fourth spot. Just behind them was Weimer in sixth. Pourcel continued to lead until lap 11 when he went down and dropped to third. Over the next five laps, the French rider regrouped and moved up to the rear fender of the leader. On the final lap, Pourcel pushed hard and was able to take the lead and grab the moto 1 victory. Weimer rode a steady race throughout, moving up to fourth early and staying there. Wilson fell on the second lap and dropped form fourth to 14th and by checkered flag he worked his way up to 10th.
Christophe Pourcel says: "The track was difficult today," said Pourcel. "I was riding well up front and then I went down. I wasn’t nervous at all; I just did what I needed to get back up to the front. The last lap was fun and it was good to make the pass."In the second moto, it was Wilson who was the fastest Pro Circuit rider out of the gate sitting in fourth. Pourcel was right behind him in sixth while Weimer was 10th and Rattray 18th. The tight track at Hangtown made it difficult to pass so each of the riders was focused on moving up as much as they could. Wilson moved into third on the sixth lap with Pourcel right on his rear fender. The two rode in lock-step until the final lap when Pourcel passed Wilson to take third in the moto. Weimer and Rattray finished eighth and 16th respectively.Dean Wilson says: "I rode tight during the first moto," said Wilson. "I just didn’t know what to expect and once I loosened up I was able to find some good lines and stay consistent. In the second moto things went a lot better and I stayed loose all the way through."2010 AMA Motorcross 250 Results (Moto 1 – Moto 2)
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda (3-1)
2. Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki (1-3)
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda (7-2)
4. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki (4-8)
5. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda (5-7)
6. Dean Wilson, Canada, Kawasaki (10-4)
7. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha (11-5)
8. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda (13-6)
9. Tommy Searle, England, KTM (2-31)
10. Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki (8-16)2010 AMA Motocross 250 Championship Points | Round 1
1. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 45
2. Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki, 45
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 36
4. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki, 31
5. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 30
6. Dean Wilson, Canada, Kawasaki, 29
7. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha, 26
8. Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 23
9. Tommy Searle, England, KTM, 22
10. Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki, 18The team now has a weekend off before heading to Freestone County, Texas for the second of 12 AMA Motocross rounds.