SX Race Report
With James Stewart out, Yamaha San Manuel Team’s Josh Hill scored his fourth consecutive podium result and his second runner-up position in a week at a wet Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego for the fourth round of seventeen in the AMA Supercross series, also an FIM World Championship. The visit to southern California was a good one for Yamaha and the 2010 YZ450F as Valli Motorsports’ Ivan Tedesco rode to third place for his first piece of silverware of the season. Joe Gibbs Racing’s Justin Brayton steered the third YZ450F inside the top five to a personal-best of 5th spot.
Mike Bell won the first San Diego SX on a Yamaha 30 years ago and Hill tried his best to add another garland in what was the 28th Main Event in the city. He was part of a five rider dice across a slippery and rutted track caused by rainfall. While Davi Millsaps would eventually become the fourth different winner in the first five outings of the championship, Hill rode smartly to hold off the attentions of Tedesco and continue his impressive consistency since climbing aboard the YZ450F and joining the L&M crew.
Josh Hill Speaks…
"I felt really good out there but I spent way too much time trying to pass Ivan and I think that let Davi get away a bit too far for the time I had left,’ he said. ‘I just coming into every week thinking about doing my best and so far that’s working but I haven’t won one yet. I hope to soon, and I really think I will, but I just need to put everything together at the same time."
"I’m pumped to be that close in points now but I know Dungey isn’t going to keep having these weekends, so I need to win soon," commented Hill.
Ivan Tedesco Speaks…
"I’m happy that I finally got on the box because I’ve been close this year but haven’t gotten up here until now,’ said Tedesco. ‘I’m pumped, though. This is some momentum that I can build on for next week before we head east."
Hill has gained ground on SX standings leader Ryan Dungey who could only finish 6th. The Yamaha man is just four points from the lead of the competitive AMA contest and is flying the flag for the team with defending champion James Stewart on the sidelines with a broken right scaphoid. Tedesco is 5th and Brayton 6th.
Crowd: 51, 843, Weather: Wet, Lap Record: 0’47.448 (James Stewart, 01/01/2006), Last Years Winner: James Stewart
2010 AMA Supercross Class Results: San Diego
1) Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
2) Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha
3) Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
4) Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
5) Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
6) Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
7) Tommy Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Suzuki
8) Grant Langston, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
9) Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
10) Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha
2010 AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
1) Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 105
2) Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 101
3) Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 95
4) Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 82
5) Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 77
6) Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 72
7) Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 69
8) Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 66
9) Tommy Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Suzuki, 56
10) James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha, 51
2010 Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results: San Diego
1) Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki
2) Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda
3) Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda
4) Max Anstie, Hemet, Calif., Yamaha
5) Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha
6) Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
7) Phil Nicoletti, Bethel, N.Y., KTM
8) P.J. Larsen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
9) Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda
10) Chris Gosselaar, Spring Valley Lake, Calif., Honda
2010 Western Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1) Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki, 122
2) Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 96
3) Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 94
4) Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha, 78
5) Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda, 76
6) Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda, 71
7) Max Anstie, Hemet, Calif., Yamaha, 63
8) Josh Hansen, Elbert Colo., Kawasaki, 56
9) Jeff Alessi, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 45
10) Ryan Morais, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 42
Round six goes back to the Angel Stadium, Anaheim (3) in Los Angeles next week for the third and final visit of the 2010 calendar.