2016 Supercross 250SX Results and Coverage | Stewart Wins Race, Leads Series
Although he had been battling illness this week, GEICO Honda’s Malcolm Stewart took the Monster Energy AMA Supercross 250SX East Main Event win at Ford Field in Detroit. Stewart, who also won his Heat race, and takes the lead in the 250SX East standings by seven points over Rockstar Energy/Yamaha’s Jeremy Martin, who entered Detroit leading the nine-race series.
The left turn start told the night’s story, as Stewart was in the top three over the holeshot line, and Martin went down. From there, Stewart quickly passed Rockstar Energy/Yamaha’s Aaron Plessinger, and took the lead when he convincingly blew by Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Arnaud Tonus in the treacherous whoops section on Lap 4. A lap later Tonus crashed in the same whoops and was out for the night.
Plessinger had an uneventful ride, taking a secure 2nd place for the night, while Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/KTM’s Shane McElrath and Ti-Lube/Storm Lake Honda’s Paul Coates did battle early over the final podium spot in Round 4 of the Monster Energy Supercross 250SX East series.
However, Coates began to drop back on Lap 6 and faded to 8th (his best result of 2016) while McElrath finished 3rd, eight second behind Plessinger and over five seconds ahead of Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Tyler Bowers. In the first three 250SX East rounds this year, McElrath, who is recovering from a pre-season injury, had finished no better than 10th.
Bowers and Martin were both victims of the first turn, though Bowers put himself into 4th. Martin suffered a second crash when his front end let go on the slick track. After running as low as 19th place, Martin was lapped by winner Stewart on Lap 9 before composing himself and working his way up to 13th.
Returning after a one-race hiatus due to personal reasons, which cost him the Monster Energy AMA Supercross 250SX East series lead, Rockstar Energy/Husqvarna Factory Racing’s Martin Davalos took 5th place after starting 10th and falling back to 15th on Lap 3.
Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/KTM’s Justin Hill, who arrived at Ford Field 2nd in the standings, suffered an injury in a crash late in his second qualifying session, and was unable to race. Hill drops to 4th in the 250SX East standings, four points behind Plessinger and two ahead of Davalos.
There were four riders making the 250SX East Main for the first time this season, with Lasco Ford/Kawasaki’s Jacob Williamson leading the new qualifiers’ way at the checkers in 16th place.
Photography by Simon Cudby
Next race: April 2, 2016. Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, California
2016 Monster Energy AMA Supercross 250SX East Results, Ford Field, Detroit
- Malcolm Stewart (Honda CRF250R)
- Aaron Plessinger (Yamaha YZ250F)
- Shane McElrath (KTM 250 SX-F Factory Edition)
- Tyler Bowers (Kawasaki KX250F)
- Martin Davalos (Husqvarna FC 250)
- Gannon Audette (Kawasaki KX250F)
- RJ Hampshire (Honda CRF250R)
- Paul Coates (Honda CRF250R)
- Cedric Soubeyras (Kawasaki KX250F)
- Jesse Wentland (Honda CRF250R)
- Anthony Rodriguez (Kawasaki KX250F)
- Matthew Bisceglia (Suzuki RM-Z250)
- Jeremy Martin (Yamaha YZ250F)
- Daniel Herrlein (Honda CRF250R)
- Justin Starling (Kawasaki KX250F)
- Jacob Williamson (Kawasaki KX250F)
- Dylan Slusser (Yamaha YZ250F)
- Gradie Featherstone (Kawasaki KX250F)
- Benny Bloss (Yamaha YZ250F)
- Martin Castelo (Honda CRF250R)
- Arnaud Tonus (Kawasaki KX250F)
- Alexander Frye (KTM 250 SX-F Factory Edition)
2016 Monster Energy AMA Supercross 250SX East Standings (after 4 of 9 rounds)
- Malcolm Stewart, 80 points (1 win)
- Jeremy Martin, 73 (1 win)
- Aaron Plessinger, 67
- Justin Hill, 63 (1 win)
- Martin Davalos, 61 (1 win)
- Tyler Bowers, 53
- RJ Hampshire, 44
- Matthew Bisceglia, 41
- Jesse Wentland, 41
- Gannon Audette, 41
- Shane McElrath, 35
- Benny Bloss, 34
- Alexander Frye, 32
- Arnaud Tonus, 29
- Paul Coates, 29
- Cedric Soubeyras, 29
- Anthony Rodriguez, 29
- Jimmy Albertson, 20
- Justin Starling, 17
- Dakota Alix, 16
Photo Gallery: 2016 Monster Energy AMA Supercross 250SX East, Round 4