2016 Honda Africa Twin Specs & Photo Gallery
After months of teasing, Honda’s much anticipated big Adventure bike was unveiled – the CRF1000L Africa Twin.
The official 2016 Honda Africa Twin specs show much promise, including a liquid-cooled 998cc parallel twin that takes performance designs from both the CRF450R and CBR1000RR. Though no horsepower numbers were released, the Honda Africa Twin should produce around 110 at the crank.
The engine is wrapped in a steel semi-double-cradle frame, and is hooked to a six-speed transmission. Honda is offering the Africa Twin with an optional automatic 6-speed DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission), which is specifically tuned for adventure riding (on road and off road).
The official Honda Africa Twin specs also say the CRF1000L arrives with ABS, but only on models equipped with DTC. And at 503 lbs. wet (534 for DTC model), the 2016 Africa Twin will be the lightest adventure bike available in its class, which includes the 548-lbs. KTM 1290 Super Adventure.
2016 Honda Africa Twin Specs:
- Engine Type: Liquid-cooled, 8-valve parallel twin with 270° crank and Unicam
- Displacement: 998cc
- Bore x stroke: 92.0 x 75.1 mm
- Clutch: Wet, multi-plate with coil springs, aluminum cam assist and slipper clutch
- Final drive: O-ring sealed chain
- Transmission: Constant mesh 6-speed manual, or optional 6-speed DCT with on- and off-road riding modes
- Honda Selectable Torque Control System (HSTC): HSTC 3-levels + switch-off (DCT/ABS model only, not on STD model)
- Frame: Steel semi-double cradle type with high-tensile strength steel rear sub-frame
- ABS system: ABS 2-channel with rear ABS off switch (DCT/ABS model only, not on STD model)
- Front Brakes: 310mm dual wave floating hydraulic disc with aluminum hub and radial-mount four-piston calipers and sintered metal pads
- Rear Brake: 256mm wave hydraulic disc with two-piston caliper and sintered metal pads.
- Wheels: Wire spoke with aluminum rim
- Front tire: 90/90-R21 tube type
- Rear tire: 150/70-R18 tube type
- Length x width x height: 91.9 x 34.4 x 58.1 inches (STD), 91.9 x 36.6 x 58.1 inches (DCT/ABS)
- Fuel capacity: 4.96 gallons
- Wheelbase: 62.0 inches
- Seat height (standard position / low position): 34.3/33.5 inches
- Ground clearance: 9.8 inches
- Curb weight: 503 pounds (STD), 534 pounds (DCT/ABS)