2014 Phillip Island Moto3 Results
Spoiler Alert: 2014 Moto3 Championship results from the Australian Grand Prix at Phillip Island listed below.
Following a 27th-place finish at Aragon Moto3, the Australian Jack Miller fell to second in the point standings behind Etrella Galicia 0,0’s Alex Marquez. Things got worse, though, and Miller fell further back during last weekend’s Motegi Moto3 where he finished fifth behind winner Marquez.
Heading into this weekend’s Australian Grand Prix at Phillip Island, Marquez led the way by 25 points ahead of Miller, with Marquez’s teammate Alex Rins in third, 37 points behind.
The Red Bull Ajo KTM pilot Miller faced the possibility of dropping to third in the points if he didn’t improve his performance on home turf at the Australian Grand Prix at Phillip Island.
But improve he did and in a very big way as Miller led everyone home to win the Australian round by 0.029 of a second over Marquez – the younger brother of Marc Marquez.
With the victory, Miller cut into Marquez’s 25-point lead, reducing it to 20 points with Marquez going to 251 points to Miller’s 231.
Rins, meanwhile, finished third at Phillip Island and lost some ground to Miller slipping to 21 points behind with 210 points.
Efren Vazquez (SPA SaxoPrint-RTG), who was tied for fourth place in the points with Italian Romano Fenati, pulled 13 points ahead of Fenati on the strength of his fourth-place finish in the race. Fenati DNF’d, having finished only two laps.
British rider and Vazquez teammate, John McPhee finished fifth and only 0.134 of a second out of first place and is thirteenth in the points with 77. Alexis Masbou (FRA Ongetta-Rivacold) finished sixth and is also in sixth place in the standings.
Miguel Oliveira (POR Mahindra Racing) finished seventh, Jakub Kornfeil (CZE Calvo Team KTM) took eighth, Niklas Ajo (FIN Avant Tecno Husqvarna Ajo) placed ninth, and Niccolò Antonelli (ITA Junior Team GO&FUN Moto3) rounded out the top 10.
The series now moves to round 17 for the Shell Advance Malaysian Motorcycle Grand Prix-Sepang Circuit on October 26.
2014 Phillip Island Moto3 Results:
1. 25 8 Jack MILLER AUS Red Bull KTM Ajo KTM 164.0 37’25.209
2. 20 12 Alex MARQUEZ SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 Honda 164.0 +0.029
3. 16 42 Alex RINS SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 Honda 164.0 +0.032
4. 13 7 Efren VAZQUEZ SPA SaxoPrint-RTG Honda 164.0 +0.044
5. 11 17 John MCPHEE GBR SaxoPrint-RTG Honda 164.0 +0.134
6. 10 10 Alexis MASBOU FRA Ongetta-Rivacold Honda 164.0 +0.242
7. 9 44 Miguel OLIVEIRA POR Mahindra Racing Mahindra 163.8 +2.753
8. 8 84 Jakub KORNFEIL CZE Calvo Team KTM 163.7 +3.455
9. 7 31 Niklas AJO FIN Avant Tecno Husqvarna Ajo Husqvarna 162.7 +18.118
10. 6 23 Niccolò ANTONELLI ITA Junior Team GO&FUN Moto3 KTM 162.7 +18.119