2015 Yamaha FZ-07 | First Look at the Naked Coming Stateside
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
When Yamaha released the FZ-09, the 847cc triple with its MotoGP-derived crossplane crankshaft was an immediate hit. The naked sportbike produced 65 ft/lbs of torque – more than enough to quickly propel the 414-lbs overall machine (wet).
The FZ-09 appealed to the experienced rider looking for hooligan fun without spending loads of cash, but how about an entry-level naked? The Europeans got the MT-07, a younger brother of the FZ-09, and rumors began about an FZ-07 in the works for stateside fans.
And on Thursday, those rumors were laid to rest; the FZ-07, which arrived in Canada last month, will now be offered stateside this July.
The 2015 Yamaha FZ-07 features a 689cc liquid-cooled, in-line twin with fuel injection that produces 50 ft/lbs of torque. Like the FZ-09, the FZ-07’s two-cylinder engine features a Crossplane-Concept 270 degree crank that “provides linear torque development in response to the rider’s throttle input.”
Yamaha says the engine has five main characteristics for real-world riding: (1) linear torque development, (2) smooth torque characteristics and a strong feeling of acceleration in the low to mid rpm range, (3) pulling power that extends to the mid-upper rpm range (4) a light, slim and compact design, and (5) excellent level of rider/machine communication.
The FZ-07’s engine, which acts as a stressed member of the chassis, is stuffed into a lightweight, diamond-type, backbone high tensile steel frame that “provides an optimized rigidity balance for light, agile handling and stability.” All together, the entire package weights a mere 397 lbs. (wet).
Suspension duties are handled by a 41mm fork up front, and an adjustable link-type Monocross shock out back. As for brakes, the FZ-07 features dual 282mm discs up front, and a single 245mm out back.
The Yamaha FZ-07 also arrives with a newly-designed LCD instrument panel that features all the amenities needed for the real-world rider – a digital bar-type tachometer display with gear position indicator, digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter, clock, instant and average fuel consumption, and a range of warning and indicator lights.
And the best part of this entry-level naked sport bike? The price; the FZ-07 will have pocket-friendly MSRP of $6,990. This will make it the cheapest naked in its category, which features the Ducati Monster 696, the KTM 690 Duke and the Suzuki SFV650, which are all priced over $8,000.
Following are the features, specs and color options for the 2015 Yamaha FZ-07.
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 Features:
- The FZ-07 features an all-new 689cc liquid-cooled, in-line twin-cylinder, DOHC, 8-valve engine with fuel injection. This engine has a unique power character. It provides outstanding low to mid-range torque with very linear throttle response, yet has as strong mid-high rpm pulling power as well. The engine develops up to 50 ft/lbs of torque and is designed to maximize riding excitement in the real world.
- This 2-cylinder engine features Yamaha’s “Crossplane Concept,” 270 degree crank that provides linear torque development in response to the rider’s throttle input. Among the advantages of the in-line 2-cylinder engine are: (1) linear torque development, (2) smooth torque characteristics and a strong feeling of acceleration in the low to mid rpm range, (3) pulling power that extends to the mid-upper rpm range (4) a light, slim and compact design, and (5) excellent level of rider/machine communication.
- A new 6-speed transmission has also been adopted to match the new engine. The transmission “stacks” the input/output shafts to centralize mass and to keep the overall engine size shorter front to back which optimizes engine placement in the frame for outstanding weight balance. The new transmission brings out more of the low- to mid-speed torque and excellent response characteristics while reducing the need for frequent shifts.
- Electronic fuel injection system settings deliver a smooth throttle response to enhance around-town urban riding enjoyment. The system delivers outstanding torque in the low rpm range, excellent acceleration in the middle rpm range and strong rev characteristics in the upper rpm range.
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Chassis/Suspension
- A new lightweight, diamond-type, backbone high-tensile-steel frame provides an optimized rigidity balance for light, agile handling and stability. The engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame design.
- The riding position on the FZ-07 is one of the most important features, offering balance between sporty handling and excellent rider comfort, thanks to its upright riding position.
- The wheelbase, seat height, fuel tank width, rake and other dimensions are all set to work with the qualities of the compact 2-cylinder engine to achieve a sporty, light and neutral handling character.
- The front suspension is handled by a 41mm fork with 5.1 inches of travel that is tuned to provide a balance of great comfort on the streets as well as great handling on twisty roads
- The rear suspension features an adjustable link-type Monocross shock that provides 5.1″ of rear travel. The shock is positioned below the seat and features an almost horizontal alignment. This unique positioning contributes to make the body design more compact and optimize component. The rear suspension includes spring preload adjustment, allowing the rider to tailor the settings to match rider weight or load.
- Front brakes consist of dual floating, wave-style 282mm discs with 4-pot opposed piston calipers. Rear braking is handled by a 245mm wave-style rear disc.
- Lightweight cast-aluminum 10-spoke cast aluminum wheels reduce unsprung weight for great handling and suspension performance. The 17″ front wheel is fitted with a 120/70ZR/17 radial tire and the rear wheel sports a 180/55ZR/17 radial tire.
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Additional Features:
- A slim 3.7 gallon fuel tank is both stylish and compact to provide excellent comfort and knee grip for rider confidence.
- A newly designed lightweight, compact, full LCD instrument panel is adopted. The panel includes a digital bar-type tachometer display with gear position indicator, digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter, clock, instant and average fuel consumption and a range of warning and indicator lights.
- The electric starter button is an integrated slide-type button that also incorporates the engine cut-off switch for a modern, high quality appearance.
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 Specs:
- Engine: 689cc liquid-cooled DOHC 4-stroke: 8 valves
- Bore x stroke: 80.0 x 68.6mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.5:1
- Fuel Deliver: Fuel Injection
- Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: Constant mesh, 6-speed
- Final Drive: Chain
- Front Suspension: 41mm fork; 5.1-in travel
- Rear Suspension: Single shock; adjustable preload; 5.1-in travel
- Front Brakes: Dual hydraulic disc, 282mm
- Rear Brakes: Hydraulic disc, 245mm
- Front Tire: 120/70-ZR17
- Rear Tire: 180/55-ZR17
- L x W x H: 82.1 x 29.3 x 42.9 in
- Seat Height: 31.7 in
- Wheelbase: 55.1 in
- Rake: 24°
- Fuel Capacity: 3.7 gal
- Fuel Economy: 58 mpg
- Wet Weight: 397 lbs.
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 Color Options/MSRP:
- Liquid Graphite / $6,990
- Rapid Red / $6,990
- Pearl White / $6,990