2014 Atlanta Supercross | Results (Georgia Dome)
2014 Monster Energy Supercross Results from Georgia Dome, Atlanta
The 2014 Monster Energy Supercross Championship headed Saturday evening to Atlanta for round eight.
And when things wrapped up before nearly 70,000 fans in the Georgia Dome, Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen was take his second win of the season.
The German is the only the second repeat winner of 2014 SX; the other is Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart, who won the past two previous rounds (San Diego, Arlington). This is the first time in AMA Supercross history that there were only two repeat winners in the opening eight rounds.
Joining Roczen on the Atlanta SX podium was the reigning AMA Supercross Champion Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki) and the other Red Bull KTM pilot, Ryan Dungey.
Taking the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot was Smartop/Motoconcepts Racing Suzuki’s Mike Alessi, who was followed by Villopoto and Stewart.
Stewart immediately moved into first place. But Stewart’s bad luck returned, and he crashed, giving the led to Alessi. He was able to remount, but in last place. He eventually finished 11th.
On lap five, Villopoto passed Alessi for the lead, followed in tow by Roczen and Dungey in second and third, perspectively. On lap 14 of 20, Villopoto failed to jump the triple, and lost the lead to Roczen as a result.
The KTM SX-F 450 rider was able to hold on for the win, followed by Villopoto and Roczen. GEICO Honda’s Wil Hahn finished fourth, and JGRMX Yamaha’s Justin Brayton.
“It feels so great to get a win,” says Roczen. “Getting on the podium is nice, but to get a win is so much better. It proves that hard work pays off. I am so happy I was able to pull it off and so thankful to my team for being behind me and building me a great bike.”
With his win, Roczen closed the gap on Villopoto in the overall point standings. Villopoto now has 166 points, three ahead of Roczen. Stewart remains in third, 26 behind Villopoto.
In the first Eastern Regional 250SX race of 2014, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Martin Davalos earned the first win of his career.
Monster Energy Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Adam Cianciarulo, who came into Saturday’s race as the points leader, led Davalos through Turn 1, winning the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award. It didn’t take long for Davalos to answer back and make the pass for the lead, and by Lap 7, he opened a 5.1 second advantage.
Factory Metal Works’ Vince Friese was passed by Yamalube/Star Racing/Yamaha’s Anthony Rodriguez on Lap 1 for third place. Near the halfway point of the race, GEICO Honda’s Justin Bogle took over the number-three position. Cianciarulo finished second and Bogle finished a season-best third place.
“”At the beginning of the race, Martin [Davalos] started to pull away, but toward the second half of the race, I was able to catch up,” said Cianciarulo. “Then, I made a stupid mistake. I guess you live and learn.”
“I am just so happy to be able to give this win to my team,” said Davalos. “There have been so many people that have supported me, and this feels great.”
Cianciarulo has a two-point lead over Davalos in the season standings
Monster Energy Supercross heads to Indianapolis’ Lucas Oil Stadium next Saturday for the ninth race of the season.
2014 Atlanta AMA Supercross 450SX Class Results:
- Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
- Wil Hahn, Menifee, Calif., Honda
- Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha
- Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Fla., Suzuki
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki
- Weston Peick, Wildomar, Calif., Suzuki
- Josh Grant, Corona, Calif., Yamaha
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
2014 AMA Supercross 450SX Class Season Standings (after eight of 17 rounds):
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 166
- Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 157
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 140
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 136
- Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha, 130
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Kawasaki, 111
- Justin Barcia, Pinetta, Fla., Honda, 109
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 94
- Wil Hahn, Menifee, Calif., Honda, 83
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki, 77
2014 Eastern Regional 250SX Class Results:
- Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Kawasaki
- Adam Cianciarulo, Port Orange, Fla., Kawasaki
- Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda
- Bale Wharton, Beaumont, Texas, Honda
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki
- Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda
- James DeCotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
- Cole Thomson, Brigden, Canada, KTM
- Matt Lemoine, Pilot Point, Texas, Kawasaki
- Michael Oldenburg, Alvord, Texas, Honda
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Season Standings:
- Adam Cianciarulo, Port Orange, Fla., Kawasaki, 47
- Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Kawasaki, 45
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki, 38
- Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda, 36
- Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda, 33
- Blake Wharton, Beaumont, Texas, Honda, 32
- Cole Thompson, Brigden, Canada, KTM, 28
- Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Honda, 22
- Mitchell Oldenburg, Alvord, Texas, Honda, 22
- Jimmy DeCotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
KTM Junior Supercross Challenge:
- Nicholas Romano, Bayside, N.Y., KTM
- Peyton Crisp, Simpsonville, S.C., KTM
- Daxton Bennick, Morganton, N.C., KTM
- Logan Riggins, Easley, S.C., KTM
- Jon Jon Carver, Cataula, Ga., KTM
- Vincent Ardizzoni, Holland, Mass., KTM
- Nathan Pendegrass, Yadkinville, N.C., KTM
- Eric Adams, Roaring River, N.C., KTM
- Chapell Brogdon, Sumter, S.C., KTM
- Dash Mcmillin, Butler, Pa., KTM
- Breyden Campbell, Altoona, Pa., KTM
- Baxton Levi, Macclenny, Fla., KTM
- Samantha Meyer, Kirkwood, Ill., KTM
- Camryn Santacroce, Lancaster, S.C., KTM
- Corbin Gatson, Richwood, Ohio, KTM
Toyota Triple Challenge Standings:
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 39
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo Wash., Kawasaki, 38
- Justin Barcia, Pinetta, Fla., Honda, 38
- Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 37
- Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha, 31
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Kawasaki, 25
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 23
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 22
- Weston Peick, Wildomar, Calif., Suzuki, 16
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki, 14