Honda Unveils the 2014 Grom – a 125cc Naked Sport(y) Bike
2014 Honda Grom Preview
In 2011, Honda released its CBR250R, going head-to-head with Kawasaki’s iconic entry-level sportbike, the Ninja 250. The bike faired well due to its technology, such as fuel injection, something not offered on the Ninja.
And for 2014, Honda adds one more entry-level sportbike, or rather sporty bike, to its lineup – the Grom.
Grom, which is urban slang for a young surfer or snowboarder, targets the beginner rider, but also the experienced rider looking for something fun (think street-legal pit bike!).
The Honda Grom oozes with simplicity, arriving with a fuel-injected 125cc single-cylinder engine hooked to a four-speed manual transmission. The Grom’s frame is compact, featuring a low, a 29.7-inch seat height. The Grom is further simplified with 12-inch wheels, an inverted from fork and hydraulic disc brakes (single front and rear).
From its simple design, the Grom, which should be offered at low price (not reported as of this writing). By far one of the smallest street legal sport motorcycles available from Honda, weighing in at a slender 225 lbs. dry, the Grom also has a passenger seat fit for an Italian supermodel.
Following are the highlights, color options and specs of the 2014 Honda Grom.
2014 Honda Grom Highlights:
- Single-cylinder 125cc SOHC four-stroke engine packs a perfect blend of performance with impressive fuel efficiency plus accessible and fun all-around ability.
- The engine uses low-friction technology such as an offset cylinder and a roller rocker arm for the valve gear.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) offers excellent throttle response over a wide range of riding conditions by continuously monitoring several variables to ensure the correct fuel mixture for the existing riding and atmospheric conditions.
- The four-speed gearbox is managed via a manual clutch and offers smooth and consistent gear changes.
- Compact chassis features a sturdy steel frame.
- Telescopic inverted 31mm front fork, like a full-size motorcycle, delivers 3.9 inches of well-controlled travel.
- Steel box-section rear swingarm and a sturdy single shock yield 4.1 inches of comfortable rear-wheel travel.
- Single front 220mm disc with hydraulic dual-piston caliper and single rear 190mm disc with hydraulic single-piston caliper deliver strong stopping power.
- Compact 47.4-inch wheelbase and light curb weight of 225 pounds results in amazing agility to boost rider confidence.
- LCD digital dash includes speedometer, odometer/A&B tripmeters, clock and fuel gauge.
2014 Honda Grom Color Options/MSRP:
- Pearl Red/NA
- Metallic Black/NA
2014 Honda Grom 125 Specs:
- Engine Type: 124.9cc air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore and Stroke: 52.4mm x 57.9mm
- Compression Ratio: 9.3:1
- Valve Train: SOHC; two valves per cylinder
- Induction: PGM-FI with automatic enrichment
- Ignition: Electric
- Transmission: Four-speed
- Final Drive: Chain
- Suspension, Front: 31mm inverted fork – 3.9 inches travel; Rear: Single shock with steel box-section swingarm – 4.1 inches travel
- Brakes, Front: Single 220mm disc with hydraulic dual-piston caliper; Rear: Single 190mm disc with hydraulic single-piston caliper
- Tires: Front: 120/70-12; Rear: 130/70-12
- Wheelbase: 47.4 inches
- Rake (Caster Angle): 25° 0’.
- Trail: 81mm (3.2 inches)
- Seat Height: 29.7 inches
- Fuel Capacity: 1.45 gallons
- Fuel Economy Estimate: TBD
- Colors: Pearl Red, Metallic Black
- Curb Weight: 225 pounds