2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Results
Spoiler Alert: 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross results from Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis listed below
The 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross series headed Saturday night to Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis for round nine of 17.
And taking his fourth win of 2013 SX was the reigning Supercross Champion, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto. The Washington native was joined on the St. Louis podium by last week’s winner at Georgia Dome, Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart, and TwoTwo Motorsports Honda’s Chad Reed.
Before over 60,000 fans, Motoconcept Suzuki’s Mike Alessi took the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award, followed by Muscle Milk Honda’s Justin Barcia and Stewart. As for the Rockstar Energy Suzuki rider who has held the number-one points position all season, Davi Millsaps got off the line in eighth.
By the end of the first lap, Stewart moved into second, and Villopoto came from mid pack into fourth position. But due to a lap-three crash involving JGRMX/Toyota Yamaha’s Kyle Chisholm, who suffered some injury, the race was red flagged.
On the restart, Stewart got off the line first, followed by Barcia and Reed, with Villopoto right behind. By the fifth lap, Villipoto charged past Reed to take third, then took second from Barcia.
Villopoto stalked Stewart, and by lap 11, the two had traded the lead a few times. But by the end of lap 11, Villopoto solidified his first-place position, and went on to take the win.
Behind, Barcia passed Stewart for second on lap 13, but suffered a bobble, and he lost several positions. This allowed Reed to move into third. When the 20-lap race was completed, Stewart would finish second, followed by Reed, Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey and Barcia. Taking sixth was Millsaps.
After nine rounds, Millsaps retains the points lead with 189 points, 12 ahead of Villopoto. Dungey is in third, 22 points behind.
Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX-F450 Supercross) says: “It was a crazy night out there. I made a costly mistake on the first start, so I knew my work was cut out for me. I was able to make things happen on the second start and get out in front after some wild racing. It’s coming down to crunch time and we were all able to make it happen tonight.”
James Stewart (Yoshimura Suzuki RM-Z450 Supercross) says: “That was a good race for us, we’re slowly getting better out here. Villopoto caught me by surprise on the pass, but I was still able to keep it together and hold the second place spot. It was one heck of a race tonight. That’s what it’s about.”
For the second consecutive race in the Eastern Regional 250SX Class Championship, GEICO Honda’s Wil Hahn was victorious.
After winning the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award, Hahn led Rockstar Energy Racing’s Blake Wharton, who moved into second place on Lap 1, and Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson, who moved into third place on Lap 3, Feld Motor Sports says.
After a mid-pack start, Wilson continued his charge past Wharton on Lap 7 to secure the number-two position. On Lap 9, Wilson was 1.5 seconds behind Hahn, patiently waiting to make his move. The two traded positions on Lap 12, but Hahn quickly regained the lead and rode to the second win of his career. Wilson finished second and Wharton finished third, Feld Motor Sports says.
Wil Hahn (GEICO Honda CR-F250 Supercross) says: “That wasn’t an easy race. It was a tight race tonight with Blake [Wharton] pressuring me early and Dean [Wilson] came on strong late in the race. Tonight was awesome, and my family was here tonight to enjoy this with me.”
Dean Wilson (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX-F250 Supercross) says: “It was a tough race. I didn’t make things easy on myself tonight with that bad start. I passed him [Hahn] once, but it wasn’t good enough.”
Hahn has a one-point lead over Wilson in season standings and Wharton is in third.
Broadcast coverage of the 450 Supercross Class will be on CBS at noon EST Sunday, March 3. Coverage of the 250 Supercross Class will follow at 2:30 p.m. EST on SPEED.
The 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross series continues next week at the Ricky Carmichael-designed track at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach.
2013 St. Louis AMA Supercross 450 Class Results:
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki
- Chad Reed, Australia, Honda
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
- Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Fla., Suzuki
- Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
- Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
450 Supercross Class Season Standings (after nine of 17 rounds):
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 189
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 177
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 166
- Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 148
- Chad Reed, Australia, Honda, 147
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 132
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 122
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 113
- Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha, 103
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki, 87
2013 St. Louis AMA Supercross Eastern Regional 250 Class Results:
- Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda
- Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki
- Marvin Musquin, France, KTM
- Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha
- Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda
- James Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
- Cole Thompson, Brigden, Canada, Honda
- Zach Bell, Cairo, Ga., Honda
- Peter Larsen, Menifee, Calif., Honda
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Season Standings:
- Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 70
- Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki, 69
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki, 60
- Marvin Musquin, France, KTM, 53
- Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda, 39
- Gavin Faith, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Honda, 38
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki, 36
- James Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda, 34
- Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha, 32
- Kyle Peters, Greensboro, NC, Honda, 31