2013 MV Agusta Brutale 1090 Lineup Preview
2013 MV Agusta Brutale 1090, 1090 R and 1090 RR
For 2013, MV Agusta has released three models in its Brutale 1090 lineup – the Brutale 1090 (standard), the Brutale 1090 R and the Brutale 1090 RR.
These naked sportbikes all feature similar styling, though some significant differences in the engine/chassis departments.
Each model arrives with the inline four cylinder 1078cc powerplant, but two separate engine configurations are used for different horsepower and torque outputs. The 1090 standard and 1090 R arrive with 144 horsepower at 10,300 rpm, and the 1090 RR with 158 horsepower at 11,300 rpm.
Both engine models arrive with a bore and stroke of 79mm x 55 mm, double-overhead camshafts with four vales per cylinder that are arranged in a radial pattern. The bike has both water and oil cooling with separate radiators, and uses a cassette-style removalable six speed constant mesh transmission and a multi-plate clutch. Also, the 1090 RR is updated with a slipper clutch unit.
The 2013 Brutale 1090 models once again arrive with the usual composite trellis frame, which is composed of a high-strength tubular ALS steel front section. This is attached to a single-sided swingarm by two aluminum plates. The wheelbase on the 1090 RR remains 1438mm, though is shorter on the 1090 standard and 1090 R (1430mm). The bikes all have a 103.5 mm trail.
MV Agusta says: “This configuration provides the best balance between efficiency and weight, as well as a characteristic of every MV Agusta.”
For 2013, MVA has improved the suspension on the Brutale 1090 models. All models receive a full-adjustable 50mm diameter inverted from fork, which is adjustable through external adjusters; one features compression adjustment, the other rebound. But both feature spring preload adjustments.
Out back, the shocks on the 2013 MV Agusta Brutale 1090 models are tuneable. All three offer adjustable rebound and spring preload, but the 1090 RR also allows the rider to vary the low and high-speed hydraulic compression damping.
Also MV Agusta incorporated some true-race styling with a quick-release axle carrier on the MVA’s front wheel.
Stopping the Brutale 1090 and 1090 R are dual 310mm front discs, and 320mm on the 1090 RR. All brakes are floating with steel braking disks and an aluminum disk carrier. All three Brutale 1090 models feature a 210mm rear disc, and all calipers are four-piston front and rear. But the 1090 RR receives Brembo monoblock front calipers for maximum braking efficiency and weight reduction. Also arriving on each Brutale 1090 model is an eight-level traction control adjustment.
Speaking of the design, MVA says “Form and function: following these inspirational principles Brutale continues to fascinate and has evolved in many details. Having immediate impact are the lighting elements, day running lights, arranged symmetrically on either side of the dashboard cover: capable of enhancing the whole frontal section, also making the motorcycle more visible and therefore safe during day and night.
“Another ray of light comes from the four-cylinder engine, now silver, a color that emphasizes its compactness and accurate implementation of all its elements. The same chromatic range characterizes the new wheels, a unique design in the motorcycle industry: the multiple spokes are split and give rise to a fascinating design and at the same time efficient, considering the weight of a pair of wheels has been decreased by about 1500 grams compared to those fitted on previous models.”
The exhaust receives new double silencers, diagonally cut for a more “American” dragster look. The Brutale 1090 models also received a new tailight for better illumination, a new rear view mirror (the 1090 R and 1090 RR have blinkers integrated within the mirrors and use LED rear blinkers).
Wrapping up the styling, MVA says: “The license plate holder is now metal, lighter and essential, and therefore able to further enhance the design of the compact, unique tail. On Brutale 1090 the new single piece seat benefits from new curves, improved ergonomics and a higher level of finish. Lastly, the front fender has also been redesigned with ample openings to reduce weight.”
Following are the specs and the colors/prices for the 2013 MV Agusta Brutale 1090, 1090 R and 1090 RR:
2013 MV Agusta Brutlae 1090 lineup Specs:
- Type: Four cylinder, 4 stroke, 16 valve
- Timing system: DOHC radial valve
- Total displacement: 1078 cm3 (65.78 cu. in.)
- Compression ratio: 13:1
- Bore x stroke: 79mm x 55mm(3.1in. x 2.2in.)
- Cooling system: Cooling with separated liquid and oil radiators
- Engine management system: Magneti Marelli IAW 5SM ignition – injection integrated system with Mikuni throttle body; induction discharge electronic ignition; sequential timed “Multipoint” electronic injection
- Clutch: Wet, multi-disc with mechanical anti- surging device
- Transmission: Cassette style; six speed, constant mesh
- Primary drive: 50/79
- Gear ratio: First gear: 13/38; speed 109.7 km/h (68.1 mph) at 11600 r.p.m.; Second gear: 16/34; speed 150.8 km/h (93.6 mph) at 11600 r.p.m.; Third Gear: 18/32; 180.3 km/h (111.9 mph) at 11600 r.p.m.; Fourth Gear: 20/30; 13.7 km/h (132.7 mph) at 11600 r.p.m.; Fifth Gear: 22/29; 243.2 km/h (151.0 mph) at 11600 r.p.m.; Sixth Gear: 19/23; 265.0 km/h (164.5 mph) at 11600 r.p.m.
- Final drive ratio: 15/41
- Wheelbase: 1430 mm (56.29 in); 1090 RR, 1438 (56.61 in.)
- Overall length: 2100 mm (82.68 in.)
- Overall width: 775 mm (30.51 in.)
- Saddle height: 825 mm (32.48 in.)
- Min. ground clearance: 140 mm (5.51 in.)
- Trail: 103.5 mm (4.07 in.)
- Dry weight: 183 kg (403.5 lbs)
- Fuel tank capacity: 23 l (6.07 U.S. gal.)
- Frame: ALS Steel tubular trellis
- Front Suspension: Marzocchi “UPSIDE – DOWN” telescopic hydraulic fork with external and separated adjustment of rebound and compression damping and of spring preload; diameter, 50 mm (1.97 in.); travel, 125 mm (4.92 in.)
- Rear Suspension: Progressive, Sachs single shock absorber with rebound damping and spring preload adjustment; single-sided swingarm; travel, 120 mm (4.72 in.).
- Front: Double floating disc with 310 mm (Ø 12.6 in.) diameter, with steel braking disc and aluminum flange Brembo Radial-type, monobloc with 4 pistons Ø 34 mm (Ø 1.34 in.); 1090 RR model arrives with 320 mm dics
- Rear: Nissin Single steel disc with Ø 210 mm (Ø 8.27 in.) dia. With 4 pistons – Ø 25.4 mm (Ø 1.00 in.)
- Front: Aluminum alloy 3.50 ” x 17 “
- Rear: Aluminum alloy 6.00 ” x 17 “
- Front: 120/70 – ZR 17 M/C (58 W)
- Rear: 190/55 – ZR 17 M/C (75 W)
- Max. horse power (at the crankshaft): 142 HP at 10,300 rpm; 1090 RR 158 HP at 11,300 rpm.
- Max. torque: 83 ft. lbs. at 8,100 rpm; 1090 RR 74 ft. lbs. at 10,100 rpm
- Max. speed: 164.5 mph
2013 MV Agusta Brutale Color Options/Pricing:
- Brutale 1090: – Matt Black – Matt pearl white – Matt metallic grey 12,990€ ($16,967)
- Brutale 1090 R: – Metallic black – Pastel red – Silver 13,990€ ($18,273)
- Brutale RR: – Pastel red/Silver – Metallic gold/Pearl white – Metallic blue/Pearl white 16,990€ ($22,192)
*Every country could have a price variation due to local import duties and taxes.