2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R Now with ABS
In 2006, Kawasaki upped the ante in the hypersport market, replacing its ZX-12R with the ZX-14.
The ZX-14 remained relatively unchanged until the 2012 model, the “R” added to the name due to the increased performance. The 2012 ZX-14R received an increase in engine displacement from 1352cc to 1441 cc, and also Kawasaki Traction Control (KTRC), a slipper clutch, revamped suspension and brakes, and more aggressive body styling.
This formula equaled over 200 horsepower and a top speed to the legally-limited 186mph, but with the comfort usually found on a sport-touring motorcycle.
Kawasaki returns with the model for 2013, but with ABS. Kawasaki says the compact and lightweight system helps increase rider confidence and helps provide additional security in slippery situations.
With its technologically advanced engine, the ZX-14R is sure to continue its dominance in the hypersport class, providing riders with all-out power, handling and comfortable ergonomics, now with the added safety of ABS.
Following are the highlights, specs, color options and MSRP for the 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS.
2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS Highlights:
- Massively powerful 1,441cc inline-four engine is the strongest motorcycle engine Kawasaki has ever produced and delivers the most power of any current production sportbike in the world
- New ABS brake option is available for 2013. This compact and lightweight system helps increase rider confidence and helps provide additional security in slippery situations
- KTRC traction-control system features three different modes for varying conditions and is controlled by a handy switch assembly on the left handlebar
- Slipper clutch assembly controls rear-wheel torque effects while braking and downshifting
- Exhaust system features tapered head pipes, a catalyzer and an efficient muffler assembly for low noise and emissions
- Aluminum monocoque frame is narrow, strong and rigid for impressive sport riding performance
- Aluminum swingarm assembly is longer than traditional designs and features strengthening gussets to cope with the engine’s substantial torque
- Supersport bodywork package builds upon the slick aesthetic image of the previous machine, includes a rear seat cowl and adds better air management to the mix for improved rider and passenger comfort
- All-new 10-spoke wheels are more than 3 pounds lighter in total than the previous machine’s units; this reduces unsprung weight, which aids handling and maneuverability
- New disc material and pads improve the 14R’s radial-mount braking system
- Revised suspension settings front and rear add wheel control and compliance to an already plush ride
- Higher overall finish quality than before, including hidden bodywork fasteners
1,441cc Four-cylinder Liquid-cooled DOHC Engine:
- Long-stroke design, ported cylinder heads, lightweight forged pistons, and aggressive camshaft profiles provide more torque and power throughout the rev range than any other production sportbike
- Piston jet system sprays a continuous stream of cooling lubrication to the underside of each piston for cooler running temperatures, more consistent power output and excellent long-term durability
- Strong cam chain and tensioning system offers excellent high-rpm durability
- Thick 40mm crankshaft main journals contribute to long-term engine durability
- Surface and heat treatments allow the transmission gears to better harness the engine’s prodigious power output
- Chrome composite-plated aluminum cylinder bores are lightweight, durable, and effectively transfer heat away from the combustion chamber and piston for maximum durability at high power outputs
- Mechanical noise is kept to a minimum via special piston profiles and a urethane insulation sheet on the inside of the magnesium chain cover
High-flow Exhaust System:
- Header assembly has tapered-diameter pipes for optimal engine response and power output
- The internal construction of the dual mufflers minimizes the impact of noise and emissions regulations, while maintaining impressive top-end power
- Airflow directed into the exhaust by the large secondary air ports in the cylinder head and head cover, plus a third honeycomb catalyzer in the exhaust collector, help meet strict Euro III emissions standards
Gear-driven Dual Engine Balancers:
- Revised balance weights keep the newly dimensioned engine (more stroke) in ideal balance, resulting in improved comfort for riders and passengers
- Already in perfect primary balance, the ZX-14R’s engine design features dual secondary balancers that virtually eliminate unwanted vibrations for extremely smooth operation and reduced rider fatigue
Ram Air Induction:
- Central ram air duct in the newly shaped fairing draws cooler, higher-pressure air from the face of the fairing and efficiently guides it through the larger and more efficient air cleaner and into the reworked engine for maximum power output
Digital Fuel Injection:
- DFI throttle body assembly features individual 44mm throttle bodies fitted with an idle speed control and sub-throttle valves controlled by the 32-bit ECU. They provide precise response, smooth performance, automatic idle speed adjustment, and help the bike meet strict Euro III emissions requirements
- High performance intake tract porting optimizes flow characteristics
- Fuel injectors deliver lateral spray at a 20-degree angle to disperse the finely atomized (75-micron droplet size) fuel over a wide area
Dual-Mode Digital Ignition:
- Rider selectable High & Low maps offer a choice between full power and approximately 50 percent power output to help suit changing conditions
- Digital Timing Advance enhances low- and mid-range power
- Individual spark plug-mounted ignition coils fire each of the four spark plugs independently to achieve the optimum timing for that cylinder
- ECU includes an idle speed control system for easier starting and warm-up
KTRC Traction Control:
- KTRC traction-control system features three different selectable modes to suit rider preference and different riding conditions
- Modes are selected by a handy switch assembly on the left handlebar
- Modes are indicated on the LCD cockpit display
Back-Torque Limiting “Slipper” Clutch:
- Back-torque limiting “slipper” clutch assembly helps control rear-wheel torque effects while downshifting or coasting to minimize wheel hop, chatter and reduce rider stress
- Radial-pump hydraulic clutch master cylinder offers smooth and precise engagement and optimal feel at the lever
ABS Disc Brakes with Petal-type Rotors and Radial-Mount Calipers:
- ABS brakes offer excellent performance and enhanced confidence in adverse conditions
- Compact, lightweight ABS unit is highly effective without weighing the bike down
- Petal-type brake rotors provide better cooling and enhanced warp resistance than traditional discs
- Radial mounted four-piston front brake calipers offer greater rigidity than traditional caliper mounting to improve brake feel
- A separate brake pad is used for each piston. Individual pads provide increased cooling efficiency and can absorb more heat without deforming so they maintain a consistent brake feel longer
- Radial-pump front brake master cylinder provides excellent lever feel and feedback
Monocoque Aluminum Frame:
- Lightweight monocoque frame is a hollow aluminum box that arches over the engine from the steering head to the swingarm pivot. It is narrow, strong, rigid and very light
- Many of the frame’s cast aluminum sections – steering head and swingarm pivot areas – are produced via a die-casting process for weight savings
- Rigidly mounted engine is a stressed frame member, which increases the frame’s torsional rigidity and saves weight vs. traditional designs
- Engine is positioned forward in the frame, with the long wheelbase and front/rear weight balance carefully designed to achieve high-speed stability and responsive handling
- Long swingarm design helps maximize forward drive and is gusseted to better cope with the engine’s healthy torque output
- Massive head pipe casting contributes to frame rigidity
- Frame houses the air box and air filter in a space-saving design that simplifies air cleaner maintenance
- Battery is also housed within the frame and is easily accessible through an aluminum frame cover
Comfortable Sporting Suspension:
- Inverted and multi-adjustable 43mm cartridge-type fork provides excellent wheel control and without sacrificing ride comfort
- Stepless damping adjustment allows ultra-precise tuning of fork reactions
- Fully adjustable bottom-link Uni-Trak rear suspension is a compact design that offers premium control and feedback
- Linkage rates designed to allow linear suspension action and excellent wheel control
- Bottom-link design helps create a lower center of gravity, which makes the motorcycle more nimble
Aggressive Supersport Bodywork:
- Monocoque frame is positioned over the engine so the sleek fairing is uninterrupted by protruding frame spars, adding to the extremely long and low styling
- Efficient fairing venting offers excellent engine-heat control to help maintain rider and passenger comfort on hot days
- Standard rear-seat cowl adds aesthetic appeal
- Both the front and rear turn signals are integrated into the bodywork and have clear lenses to enhance for a more modern appearance
- Quadruple projector beam headlights give the ZX-14R a distinctive look. The outer lights contain position lamps and high beams, while the low beams are located in the center lamps
- Lightweight Denso radiator with dual fans and high-density cores provides maximum cooling efficiency
- Black-faced dual analog speedometer and tachometer are easy to read
- Multi-function LCD digital display includes an odometer, two trip meters, fuel gauge, gear position indicator, clock, and many other variables, including traction-control and power mode information through its LCD indicator
- Programmable shift indicator lamp illuminates at pre-set rpm to signal rider upshift
- Programmable clutch engagement lamp illuminates at pre-set rpm to signal the rider to engage the clutch
- Controller Area Network (CAN) interface between the gauges uses fewer wires yet allows a greater volume of information, such as estimated fuel mileage, to be exchanged
2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS Specs:
- Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC, four valve per cylinder, inline-four
- Displacement: 1,441cc
- Bore x stroke: 84.0 x 65.0mm
- Compression ratio: 12.3:1
- Fuel injection: DFI with four 44mm Mikuni throttle bodies
- Ignition: TCBI with Digital Advance
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final drive: X-Ring chain
- Rake / trail: 23 degrees / 3.7 in.
- Front tire: 120/70 ZR17
- Rear tire: 190/50 ZR17
- Wheelbase: 58.3 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 43mm inverted cartridge fork with adjustable preload, 18-way compression and 15-way rebound damping adjustment / 4.6 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Bottom-link Uni-Trak and gas-charged shock with adjustable preload, stepless rebound and compression damping adjustments, adjustable ride height / 4.9 in.
- Front brakes: Dual semi-floating 310 mm petal discs with dual radial-mounted four-piston calipers and ABS
- Rear brakes: Single 250mm petal disc with twin-piston caliper and ABS
- Overall length: 85.4 in.
- Overall width: 30.3 in.
- Overall height: 46.1 in.
- Ground clearance: 4.9 in.
- Seat height: 31.5 in.
- Curb weight: 584.3 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 5.8 gal.
2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R ABS Color Options / MSRP:
- Passion Red / $15,999
- Pearl Stardust White / $15,999
- Metallic Spark Black/Golden Blazed Green (SE) / $16,299