2013 World Superbike
Following his first-ever World Superbike win at Nurburgring last week aboard the ParkinGO MTC Racing Aprilia RSV4, Chaz Davies has signed with BMW Motorrad for the 2013 World SBK season.
Davies, the 2011 World Supersport Champion (Yamaha ParkinGO Team), will pilot the factory BMW S1000RR alongside the Italian Marco Melandri, who gave BMW its first World SBK win at Miller Motorsports Park this season.
The 25-year-old Welshman is a rookie World SBK rider this season, and besides his win, he also took three other podiums aboard the Aprilia RSV3.
Andrea Buzzoni (General Manager, BMW Motorrad Italia, which will take responsibility of the BMW Motorrad team in 2013) says: “We are happy that we can welcome Chaz to the BMW Motorrad family. On his way through the ranks, Chaz showed how talented and fast he is. His title win in the Supersport World Championship in 2011 was impressive proof of that. And in his current debut season in the Superbike World Championship, it did not take him long to win his first race. We are convinced that Marco and Chaz will form a premium rider line-up, and that in combination with the BMW S 1000 RR, we will have one of the strongest packages in the World Championship.”
Chaz Davies Profile:
- Date of birth: 10th February 1987
- Place of birth: Knighton (Wales)
- Place of residence: The Barn, Lower Kinsham, Preteigne (Great Britain)
- Family status: In a relationship with Hattie Hughes
- Height: 183 cm
- Weight: 70 kg
- Hobbies: Motocross, Supermoto, Riding bicycles, fun things with friends and family
- Passion: Books, movies, music, his bike Specialized Tarmac SL3, Italian food, his dog Prince
- First bike: Lem MV
- First race: 1999 Aprilia Challenge
- Superbike World Championship record: 21 races, 1 win, in total 4 podium finishes
- Career highlight: 2011 World Supersport Champion, 2008 Winner Daytona 200, 2007 AMA Championship 2 podiums / 2 pole positions, 2007 wild card in MotoGP (final three races), 2003-2006 250cc World Championship, 2002 125cc World Championship, 2001 British 125cc Championship (Youngest ever winner of a British 125cc Championship race at the age of 14 years and 5 months)
- Website: chaz-davies.com