Brammo Reveals Details of 2012 Empulse
2012 Brammo Electric Sportbikes
The electric-motorcycle manufacturer Brammo has released information about its upcoming Empulse and Empulse R electric sportbikes.
The Empulse and Empulse R, which will be unveiled May 8 in Los Angeles, will feature the “the world’s first drivetrain that has been designed and built for a production electric motorcycle.”
Some of the features of this drivetrain are a water-cooled permanent magnet AC motor, IET 6 speed gearbox and Brammo’s unique BPM 15/90 battery modules.
Brammo says: “This drivetrain package endows the Empulse and Empulse R with rapid off-the-line acceleration, sustained high speed and industry-leading range.”
And its quite rapid for an electric motorcycle; according to the Brammo’s spec sheet (listed below), the Empulse R has a top speed over the 100mph mark, and gets 121 miles to a charge. These claims give the Brammo Empulse R higher performance than the current electric sportbike leading the category, the Zero S ZF9 (114-mile range, 88mph top speed).
Craig Bramscher (Founder and CEO of Brammo) says: “The Empulse and Empulse R are a milestone for Brammo and the new electric benchmark for the motorcycling industry. I know when I reveal the bikes on May 8 people are going to be blown away by the integrity of the design and the focused presence this motorcycle commands.
“When we first revealed the Empulse prototype, our customers had some very clear feedback for us and that feedback has inspired much of what you will see in the production version.”
Both Empulse motorcycles featue the J1772 Level II on-board charging system, which will allow riders to charge the Brammo at perspective stations worldwide. Brammo says the Empulse and Empulse R can be totally recharged in just 3.5 hours and every 10 minutes of casual charging adds 5 miles of range.
Brammo says: “With a little planning, a day’s journey of 200 miles or more can now be achieved.”
The 2012 Brammo Empulse and Empulse R will be unveiled at the Boulevard 3 in Los Angeles on May 8.
2012 Brammo Empulse R Specs:
- Motor Type: Permanent Magnet AC (PMAC) – Water Cooled
- Motor Controller: Sevcon Gen 4
- Peak Motor Power: 40kW, @ 8,200 rpm (54 hp)
- Peak Continuous Current: 270 amps
- Final Drive: Direct Chain Drive (14/48) 520 O-ring chain
- Transmission: IET 6 speed gearbox with multi-plate, hydraulic activated wet clutch
- Max Motor Torque: 63Nm (46.5 foot pounds)
- Battery Type Brammo PowerBPM15/90 Lithium-Ion ( NCM Chemistry)
- Battery Pack Capacity: 9.31 kWh (nominal), 10.2 kWh (max)
- Battery Pack Voltage: 103.6 V (nominal)
- Battery Life: 1,500 cycles to 80% capacity (100% DOD)
- Recharge Time: Level I maximum charging time: 8 Hours. (0 – 99% SOC, no cell imbalances)
- Level II maximum charging time: 3.5 Hours. (0 – 99% SOC, no cell imbalances)
- Every 10 minutes of Level II charging adds up to 5 miles of range
Empulse R Performance
- Empulse R Performance: 100 + mph (160 + km/h)
- Driving Range: City: 121 miles* (195 km)
- Highway: 56 miles (90 km)
- Combined: 77 miles (124 km)
Operating Modes: Two Operating Modes selectable through the handlebar switch:
- 1. “Normal” – limits acceleration by reducing maximum current delivered to the motor through the motor controller in order to maximize driving range.
- 2. “Sport” – provides maximum performance in both acceleration and top speed.
- Regenerative Braking: Under deceleration, energy is returned to the battery system to both extend driving range and provide familiar rider feedback.
Operating Cost: Assuming 13 cents /kWh for electricity:
- 1 cent per mile around town
- 2 cents per mile on the highway
- Brammo DDC(Dynamic Data Collection) records key motorcycle parameters at 1Hz (1 sample/second) for analysis and service support.
Empulse R Dimensions
- Weight: 440lbs. / 200kg
- Seat Height: 31.5″ 80.0 cm
- Width: 31.8″ (bar end-to-bar end) 80.77 cm
- Height: 42.6″ (highest portion of the dash) 108.2 cm
- Length: 81.3″ 206.5 cm
- Ground Clearance: 7.3″ 18.54 cm
- Storage Capacity: Optional Brammo hard saddle bags and top trunk.
- Fuel Economy: 485 mpg-e 206 km/L-e
- Carrying Capacity: Cargo Capacity 365 lbs. / 165.6 kg (805 lbs. / 365.1 kg total combined motorcycle, rider, passenger and cargo)
- Wheelbase: 58.0″ 147.32 cm
- Warranty: 2 Years (Limited Factory Warranty) 1 year Fender-to-Fender Limited Warranty, 2 year Limited Powertrain Warranty (Batteries and Motor)
- Colors: True Blood Red, Eclipsed Black, White Noise
Empulse R Key Components
- Frame: Brammo E-Beam Aluminum, Fabricated by Accossato in Italy
- Suspension Front: Fully Adjustable 43mm Marzocchi Forks
- Suspension – Rear: Fully Adjustable Sachs Shock
- Brakes – Front: Dual 310mm Brembo floating disk with twin four piston Hydraulic Brembo Brake Calipers, Radial Mount.
- Brakes – Rear: Brembo single disk with dual piston Hydraulic Brembo Brake Caliper
- Wheels (Front/Back): 17″x 3.5″ Marchesini / 17″ x 5.5″ Marchesini
- Tires (Front/Back): 120/70-17 AVON AV79 / 180/55-17 AVON AV80
- Instrumentation: LCD display; speed, tach, odometer, gear position, energy consumption, battery status, estimated range and system status