2012 San Diego Supercross | Results
2012 AMA Supercross Results
Spoiler Alert: 2012 AMA Supercross results from Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, listed below
The sixth round of the 2012 AMA Supercross Championship got underway before almost 59,000 fans Saturday evening at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, with the typical battles up front.
But when the 20-lap race was complete, it would be Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto who took the win, his third this season (Anaheim I, Anaheim II). Joining Villopoto on the San Diego podium was Two-Two Motorsports Honda’s Chad Reed and Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey.
Taking the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot was Yoshimura Suzuki’s Brett Metcalfe, who was followed by Villopoto and the other Monster Energy Kawasaki rider, Jake Weimer. But on the second lap, Villopoto grabbed the lead with Weimer in tow, leaving Metcalfe in second.
Meanwhile behind the top three, there was a three-man race between Reed, JGRMX Yamaha’s James Stewart and Dungey. Reed charged toward the front, eventually passing Metcalfe and Weimer. Shortly after, Weimer lost third to Metcalfe.
By mid race, Stewart made his way up to third, but crashed out on the whoops. Dungey would move pass Metcalfe to take the final podium position behind Reed and race-winner Villopoto.
Villopoto enjoyed a two second cushion for much of the race, though Reed closed in late. By lap 19 Reed made a pass on Villopoto. Villopoto retaliated quickly, regained his lead and led to the checkered flag.
Ryan Villopoto (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX450F Supercross) says: “The whoops were treacherous tonight. I knew it was important to be consistent every lap. Battling Reed on the last few laps was exciting and I was able to make a good pass. I’m happy to keep the red plate on my bike and am excited for the Dallas race next week.”
With his victory, Villopoto now holds a six-point lead over Reed after six of 17 rounds. Dungey is in third, 10 points behind Villopoto.
In the Western Regional Supercross Lites Class, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Dean Wilson, of Menifee. Calif., won his second race of the year and now controls the points lead as the Western division takes a two-month break.
Feld Motor Sports reports that Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil/Honda’s Vince Friese opened the Western Regional Supercross Lites Class main Event with the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot with Wilson trailing closely through the first turn. Wilson quickly passed Friese and held the lead for the remaining 20 laps.
GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac, of Cortez, Colo., who controlled the points lead heading into the night, started mid-pack and charged his way to third place, however on lap seven, he crashed in the whoops to surrender his podium spot and points lead. With Tomac crashing out, JDR KTM’s Matt Moss moved into third place to secure his squad’s first podium of the season behind Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil/Honda’s Cole Seely.
Dean Wilson (Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki KX250F Supercross) says: “I’m absolutely ecstatic with the win. I knew I needed to run consistent laps out there and get through the whoops as fast as I could all night long. Eli [Tomac] is a tough competitor, so it’s a bit of a surprise to be in the points lead, but I’m going to work my butt off during the break to try and stay there.”
2012 AMA Supercross Class Results: San Diego:
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
4. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
5. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki
6. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
7. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
8. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Kawasaki
9. Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Calif., Suzuki
10. Nick Wey, DeWitt, Mich., Kawasaki
2012 AMA Supercross Class Season Standings (after six of 17 rounds):
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 133
2. Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda – 127
3. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 123
4. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 101
5. Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 78
6. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 75
7. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki – 72
8. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 70
9. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 68
10. Josh Hansen, Elbert, Colo., Kawasaki – 64
2012 AMA Western Regional Supercross Lites Class Results: San Diego:
1. Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki
2. Cole Seely, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
3. Matt Moss, Sussex Inlet, AUS, KTM
4. Gareth Swanepoel, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
5. Nico Izzi, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha
6. Gavin Faith, Fort Dodge, Iowa., Honda
7. Billy Laninovich, Riverside, Calif., Honda
8. Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Honda
9. Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda
10. Nick Paluzzi, Riverside, Calif., Kawasaki
2012 AMA Western Regional Supercross Lites Class Season Standings:
1. Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki – 116
2. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 114
3. Cole Seely, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 101
4. Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM – 89
5. Nico Izzi, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha – 78
6. Matt Moss, Sussex Inlet, NS, KTM – 73
7. Zach Osborne, Chesterfield, S.C., Yamaha – 67
8. Travis Baker, Temecula, Calif., Honda – 63
9. Tyla Rattray, Wildomar, Calif., Kawasaki – 60
10. Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki – 58