2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye | Preview
2012 BMW Adventure Motorcycle
With inspiration from Dakar-winning GS bikes and the success of last year’s Triple Black GS, BMW has released the limited-edition R 1200 GS Rallye for 2012.
The 2012 R1200GS Rallye arrives with the proven reliability and power of BMW’s GS lineup, but with an appearance that will immediately attract fans of rally racing.
This is due to the Alpine White body and Magma Red frame, one reminiscent of GS motorcycles that were victorious in rallies such as the Dakar.
The R1200GS Rallye’s aesthetics are enhanced by the cylinder head covers in Granite Grey metallic and the aluminum die-cast Paralever swing arm in Asphalt Grey metallic. BMW says contrast is provided by the engine finished in black as well as the seat in black/off-white with red inlaid seams.
But it’s not only the looks that enhance the 110-horspower BMW R1200GS Rallye – the machine arrives stock with comfort items such as an on-board computer, bag holder and heated grips, “while the hand protector in exclusive white and the chrome exhaust ensures a conspicuous appearance.” The bike also features Enduro ESA (electronic suspension adjustment).
BMW says: “Extended tours, long distance travels, and even journeys to the remote places of our planet run like a thread through the history of BMW GS, just like spectacular adventure rallies and magnificent sporting success. All of this now finds the ultimate testimony in the special model R 1200 GS Rallye from BMW Motorrad.”
Following are the highlights and specs for the 2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye (specs of a R1200GS). As of this writing, BMW has not reported a price on the limited edition 2012 R 1200 GS Rallye, but the bike is expected to be in showrooms January 2012.
2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye Model Highlights
- body parts painted in Alpine white
- graphics in the BMW Motorrad Motorsports colours
- fork slider tubes lined in black
- hand protectors in white
- engine lined in black
- rear frame lined in Magma red
- swingarm (Paralever) lined in Asphalt grey metallic
- cylinder head covers in Granite grey metallic
- Enduro ESA
- all chrome exhaust system
- cross spoke wheels
- heated grips
- pannier holder
- onboard computer
2012 BMW R1200GS Rallye Specs:
- Type: Air/oil-cooled flat twin Boxer 4-stroke engine, two camshafts and four radially aligned valves per cylinder, central balancer shaft
- Bore x Stroke:101 mm x 73 mm
- Capacity: 1170 cc
- Rated output: 110 horsepower @ 7750 rpm
- Max. torque 88 ft. lbs. @ 6000 rpm
- Compression ratio 12.0:1
- Engine management: Electronic intake pipe injection / BMS-K+ digital engine management with overrun fuel cut-off, twin spark ignition
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 20 Liters
- Emission control Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-3
- Electrical system: Alternator three-phase alternator 720 W
- Clutch: Single dry plate clutch, hydraulically operated
- Transmission: Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox with helical gear teeth
- Drive: Shaft drive
- Frame:Two-section frame consisting of front and rear sections, load- bearing engine-gearbox unit
- Front suspension: BMW Motorrad Telelever; stanchion diameter 41 mm, central spring strut, spring preload with 5-position mechanical adjustment
- Rear suspension: Cast aluminium single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; WAD strut (travel-related damping), spring pre-load hydraulically adjustable (continuously variable) at handwheel, rebound damping adjustable
- Suspension travel: front / rear 190 mm / 200 mm (7.5 inches / 7.9 inches)
- Wheelbase: 1507 mm (59.3 inches)
- Seat height, unladen weight 850 / 870 mm (33.4 inches / 34.2 inches) (low seat 820 mm, lowered suspension 790 mm)
- Dry weight: 460 lbs.
- Castor: 101 mm (3.97 inches)
- Steering head angle: 64.3°
- Wheels: Cast aluminium wheels
- Rim front: 2.50 x 19″
- Rim rear: 4.00 x 17″
- Tires front: 110/80 R 19
- Tires: rear 150/70 R 17
- Brake front: Dual disc brake, floating brake discs, diameter 305 mm, 4-piston fixed calipers
- Brake rear: Single disc brake, diameter 265 mm, double-piston floating caliper
- ABS Optional extra: BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral), can switch off