2012 BMW Motorcycle
For 2012, BMW Motorrad set out to please its most ardent enthusiasts with a few limited edition models, including the R1200GS Rallye that’s sure to please boxer GS fans, especially those who follow Dakar.
But the Bavarian motorcycle manufacturer didn’t stop there; for fans of the sport-oriented K 1300 S, BMW releases a HP package that will not only please aesthetically but also provide some additional performance and comfort.
First thing that’s noticed is the color, though. The 2012 BMW K 1300 S HP was designed in Alpine White non metallic, with Lupin Blue Metallic and Night Black. Besides the special-edition colors, additional uniqueness arrives with a brushed aluminum badge that features the edition number on the air-box cover.
And to further enhance the looks of the K 1300 S HP, BMW added additional Carbon parts, including front-wheel covers, airbox, clutch and seat.
Underneath the unique color scheme is everything that the K 1300 S is known for, but with some high-performance additions. The 1293cc, water-cooled inline four that produces 175 horsepower features many upgrades with the HP package, including an Akrapovic sports silencer, electronic suspension adjustment (ESA II), automatic stability control (ASC), tire pressure control (RDC), heated grips, and an onboard computer.
The BMW K 1300 S also arrives with HP footrests for rider and passenger, a tinted windscreen and a paddock stand.
The HP features standard K1300S suspension, which includes a duolever front system, with a single-sided swingarm with Paralever system out back. Stopping the 2012 BMW K 1300 S HP are dual 320mm brakes squeezed by four-piston calipers, and a 265mm single disc out back squeezed by a double-piston caliper. Braking is further enhanced by standard BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral).
Following are the highlights and specs of the 2012 K 1300 S HP. As of this writing, no MSRP has been reported.
2012 BMW K1300S HP Highlights:
- HP gearshift assistant
- Akrapovic sports silencer
- electronic suspension adjustment ESA II
- onboard computer
- automatic stability control ASC
- metal badge of brushed aluminum with edition number on the air box cover
- special paintwork in solid Alpine white/Lupin blue metallic/Night black
- HP carbon front wheel cover
- HP carbon airbox cover
- HP carbon clutch cover
- HP carbon seat cover
- HP footrests for rider and passenger
- tire pressure control RDC
- heated grips
- tinted windscreen
- paddock stand
2012 BMW K 1300 S HP: Specs:
- Type: Water-cooled 4-stroke in-line four-cylinder-engine, four valves per cylinder, two overhead camshafts, dry sump lubrication
- Bore x stroke: 80 mm x 64,3 mm
- Capacity: 1293 cc
- Rated output: 129 kW (175 hp) at 9,250 rpm
- Max. torque: 140 Nm at 8,250 rpm
- Compression ratio: 13,0 : 1
- Engine Management: Electronic intake pipe injection/digital engine management including knock sensor (BMS-K)
- Emission control: Closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter, emission standard EU-3
- Clutch: Multiple-disc clutch in oil bath, hydraulically operated
- Gearbox: Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox
- Final Drive: Shaft
Chassis / Brakes
- Frame: Bridge-type frame, cast aluminium, load-bearing engine
- Front wheel / suspension: BMW Motorrad Duolever; central spring strut
- Rear wheel / suspension: Cast aluminium single-sided swing arm with BMW Motorrad Paralever; central spring strut with lever system, spring pre-load adjustable hydraulically (continuously variable) at handwheel, adjustable rebound damping
- Suspension travel: front / rear 115 mm / 135 mm
- Wheelbase: 1585 mm
- Castor: 104,4 mm
- Steering head angle: 60.4°
- Wheels: Cast aluminum
- Rim front: 3,50 x 17″
- Rim rear: 6,00 x 17″
- Tires front: 120/70 ZR 17
- Tires rear: 190/55 ZR 17
- Brake front: Twin disc, floating brake discs, diameter 320 mm, 4-piston fixed calipers
- Brake rear: Single disc brake, diameter 265 mm, double-piston floating caliper
- ABS Standard equipment: BMW Motorrad Integral ABS (part-integral)
- Length: 2.182 mm
- Width: (incl. mirrors) 905 mm
- Height (excl. mirrors) 1.221 mm
- Seat height: unladen weight 820 mm (low seat: 790 mm)
- Inner leg curve: unladen weight 1810 mm (low seat: 1750 mm)
- Unladen weight: road ready, fully fuelled 1) 559 lbs.; Dry weight 504 lbs.
- Permitted total weight: 460 kg (1012 lbs.)
- Payload (with standard equipment): 206 kg (453 lbs.)
- Usable tank volume: 19 litres (5 gal.)
- Reserve: approx. 4.0 litres (1 gal.)