Magny-Cours Superbike Highlights (Video)
2011 World Superbike
After doubling at Magny-Cours Sunday, Carlos Checa left France with his first-ever World Superbike title.
The title came at the penultimate round of the World SBK series, the Spaniard winning 14 races in 12 rounds. Besides being the first World Superbike title for Checa, it was also the first for a Spaniard in the series 24-year history, and the 14th World Superbike title for Ducati.
Carlos Checa (Althea Ducati 1198R) says: "Today has been a perfect day, the best day of my career and probably the best day of my life. I thank everyone, every person that has helped me throughout my career, from the beginning up until today, for helping me reach this point.
"I especially thank Genesio Bevilacqua, my entire team and Ducati of course. I am experiencing so many emotions and must admit that it was very difficult to keep my concentration in the final stages of race one. Then, in race two, I tried to race as fast as I could, doing what I like to do best, and was able to win once more. Now we can relax and relish in this unforgettable moment."
Checa was joined on the race-1 podium by BMW Motorrad’s Leon Haslam and Yamaha Superbike’s Melandri, respectively. In race 2, it was Melandri in second with the other Yamaha Superbike rider Eugene Laverty in third.
2011 World Superbike Championship Point Standings (after 12 of 13 rounds):
- Carlos Checa Ducati ESP 467
- Marco Melandri Yamaha ITA 360
- Eugene Laverty Yamaha GBR 283
- Max Biaggi Aprilia ITA 281
- Leon Haslam BMW GBR 216
- Leon Camier Aprilia GBR 194
- Sylvain Guintoli Ducati FRA 179
- Noriyuki Haga Aprilia JPN 170
- Ayrton Badovini BMW ITA 155
- Michel Fabrizio Suzuki ITA 145
- Joan Lascorz Kawasaki ESP 142
- Jonathan Rea Honda GBR 138
- Tom Sykes Kawasaki GBR 133
- Jakub Smrz Ducati CZE 118
- Troy Corser BMW AUS 85
- Maxime Berger Ducati FRA 49