2012 Yamaha Motorcycle
When entering the sportbike market, new riders ofter have that daunting task of choosing the correct machine. Some bikes are either too much for a beginning rider, and some way too less.
Yamaha understood this concept, which helped them develop the FZ6 back in 2004. The entry-level sportbike with featured a half-fairing was basically a detuned R6 built for real-world riding. The bike became popular for the beginning rider, but needed more styling.
In 2009, Yamaha began offering the FZ6R, which was basically the same bike but with a full fairing, one that offered way more sportbike appeal. And for 2012, Yamaha continues to offer the full-faired FZ6R, a machine built around handling and performance for the entry rider. This is the youngest in the FZ sportbike family next to the FZ8 and FZ1.
The 2012 Yamaha FZ6R features a low, adjustable seat (30.9-inch seat height, adjustable 3/4 of inch higher of lower), adjustable handlebars and sturdy suspension for ultimate comfort on the road. And all the growl is still there from the inline 600cc engine, which is tuned for torque around town but also upper RPM power for those more spirited rides.
And just because it’s entry-level doesn’t mean Yamaha skimped on the brakes; the 2012 FZ6R is slowed down via dual, 298mm front discs and a 245mm-rear disc.
The 2012 Yamaha FZ6R was built with one goal in mind – cater to the entry-level sportbike rider or daily commuter. And for under $7,700, the Japanese marquee makes that goal easy to achieve.
Following are the highlights, specs, color options and MSRP for the 2012 Yamaha FZ6R.
2012 Yamaha FZ6R Highlights:
- The fuel-injected engine in the FZ6R has been designed to meet the demands of today’s motorcyclist. This engine optimizes the entire flow from the intake of the fuel-air mixture to combustion and exhaust. Even though it shares both bore and stroke dimensions with the FZ6, the cylinder head, crankcase, intake and exhaust system, as well as the clutch and shifter, were completely redesigned for the FZ6R, creating a power unit with an entirely different character.
- The 600cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke in-line 4-cylinder engine is ready to respond with smooth, linear performance when the rider twists the throttle. Maximum output is achieved at a spirited 10,000 rpm and maximum torque is obtained at 9000 rpm. Bottom line: Its outstanding "torquey" low to mid rpm engine performance is just right for someone who enjoys commuting to work or school or riding the canyons on the weekends.
- Lightweight forged aluminum pistons are used. Because the aluminum alloy is heated and formed under pressure without having to melt it completely as in conventional casting techniques, the strength of the original metallurgic matrix of the aluminum is maintained. As a result, a forged piston is stronger than a cast one and can thus be designed for lighter weight, which contributes to a reduction in vibration. In fact, many riders will be surprised at how smooth this motor is.
- The 32-bit ECU controls the four-hole, two-direction, high-dynamic-range type fuel injectors for superior injection control. By delivering the precise fuel-air mixture needed for conditions, the engine can deliver great power and fuel economy.
- Much like many of today’s high end sport bikes, the FZ6R has a 4-into-2-into-1 midship exhaust. Not only does it provide a throaty, yet comfortably quiet exhaust note, the system also includes 3-way catalytic converter technology to reduce exhaust emissions.
- With its exciting sport bike looks, onlookers will know this isn’t just another middleweight bike. There’s no mistaking Yamaha’s high-performance heritage in the FZ6R.
- The seat has separate front and rear sections, and the rider’s seat features an innovative height adjustment mechanism. The seat can be set 20mm – just over 3/4 of an inch – higher for taller riders, a change that can make a big difference on an all-day ride.
- The handlebar position can be adjusted 20mm forward by rotating the handlebar clamps to fine-tune rider comfort.
- The overall chassis rigidity has been designed to provide both excellent handling and all-day comfort. In order to further enhance the smoothness and comfort of the ride, the front-end dimensions a have been optimized, including a caster angle of 26° and trail of 103mm, contributing a bike that has great steering feeling, making the bike even more of a pleasure to ride.
- The front suspension has sturdy 41mm inner tubes, matched to a die-cast aluminum upper triple clamp and forged-steel under bracket, providing superior cushioning performance and good front-end feel. Wheel travel is a generous 5.1 inches to help soak up those bumps in the road.
- The rear suspension is lightweight and contributes to the mass centralization, and the mono-cross suspension provides excellent wheel travel, a full 5.1 inches. Superior road hugging performance has been achieved with optimally designed damping-force valves and oil channels.
- This bike boasts hydraulic disc brakes front and rear. The 298mm diameter front discs are lightweight for reduced unsprung weight, while the single rear disc is 245mm, and the brakes feature semi-metallic pads. The brakes have been designed to offer great feel and superb braking ability.
- FZ6R mounts tubeless radial tires on cast aluminum wheels. While their lightweight construction helps centralize mass, they also help contribute to agile handling.
- The meter panel gives the rider plenty of feedback, including a digital display speedometer, analog tachometer, odometer/ tripmeter, fuel gauge, and water coolant gauge.
2012 Yamaha FZ6R Specs:
- Type: 600cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke, DOHC 16 valves
- Bore x Stroke: 65.5mm x 44.5mm
- Compression Ratio: 12.2:1
- Fuel Delivery: Fuel injection
- Ignition: Digital TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 6-speed; multi-plate wet clutch
- Final Drive: O-ring chain
- Suspension / Front: Telescopic fork, 5.1-in.travel
- Suspension / Rear: Single shock, 5.1-in travel
- Brakes / Front: Hydraulic disc, 298mm
- Brakes / Rear: Hydraulic disc, 245mm
- Tires / Front: 120/70 ZR17
- Tires / Rear: 160/60 ZR17
- Length: 83.5 in
- Width: 30.3 in
- Height: 46.7 in
- Seat Height: 30.9 in
- Ground Clearance: 5.5 in
- Wheelbase: 56.7 in
- Rake (Caster Angle): 26.0°
- Trail: 4.1 in
- Fuel Capacity: 4.6 gal
- Fuel Economy: 43 mpg
- Wet Weight: 470 lb
- Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
2012 Yamaha FZ6R Color Options/MSRP:
- Raven / $7,690
- Pearl White / $7,590
Available from September 2011