2012 Yamaha FZ1 | Preview
2011 Yamaha Motorcycle
Yamaha’s ultimate urban-assault machine – the FZ1 – returns for 2012 with only a face lift, but most won’t complain due to the outright performance of the previous year’s model.
The FZ1 continues to be powered by an earlier version of its flagship R1 998cc motor – the one without the crossplane crankshaft – with 20 valves and a smooth fuel-injection system.
And the bike handles how you need it, from low speeds to having the throttle open up all 150 ponies; the FZ1 features a fully-adjustable suspension, allowing the rider to tune the bike from needed comfort on a long sport-touring trip to full flickability on a race track.
And this FZ1 setup has been proven; five-time Daytona 200 winner Scott Russell uses this pavement brawler while training students at Yamaha Champions Racing School.
That reason alone proves the FZ1 is one capable machine. And due to the upright ergonomics of the FZ1, all this performance is available while riding in complete comfort.
Following are the highlights, specs and MSRP for the 2012 Yamaha FZ1.
2012 Yamaha FZ1 Highlights:
- Compact design, 998cc DOHC 20-valve engine is tuned for tremendous mid-range punch and massive top-end power.
- Fuel injection with computer-controlled sub-throttle valves provides precise fuel/air mixture for superb power delivery across the entire rev range.
- Closed-deck cylinder block provides great strength while allowing a narrow engine in spite of big, 77mm bores.
- Narrow-angle five-valve combustion chambers produce a highly efficient 11.5:1 compression ratio.
- Carburized connecting rods with fracture split big ends produce a quick-revving engine with excellent high-rpm durability.
- High silicon-content ceramic-composite cylinder lining reduces friction and maximizes heat dissipation for consistent power delivery.
- Four-into two-into one short-style exhaust system with Exhaust Ultimate Power valve (EXUP), a stainless catalizer and 02 sensor. Delivers outstanding power throughout the FZ1’s broad rpm range while meeting all emissions regulations.
- Race-inspired curved radiator with twin ring-style fans keeps everything cool under all conditions.
- Aggressive chassis geometry with Supersport inspired 51 percent front wheel weight bias. Provides quick and nimble handling.
- Short 4.8-gallon fuel tanks allows the rider to move into a forward position. Rider forward ergonomics move the rider into a position of great control.
- Cast aluminum frame uses the engine as a stressed member. Allows for optimal rigidity, light weight and superb handling.
- Stressed-engine design holds the engine in place with six mounts, for excellent vertical stiffness and handling.
- Controlled-Fill (CF) aluminum swingarm. Lightweight and tuned for excellent handling and tire grip; looks great, too.
- Fully adjustable 43mm inverted fork and a single shock with adjustable preload and rebound damping. Tunable for sport touring or track days.
- 320mm front discs squeezed by monoblock four-piston calipers up front and a single 245mm rear disc serve up strong and consistent stopping power.
- Removable subframe for easy maintenance and detachable passenger footpegs for even more stripped-down style.
- Light, five-spoke wheels and fat radial tires, including a 190/50-ZR17 rear, complete the look and serve up the traction.
- Half-cowl fairing design features aggressive eye-catching naked bike profile.
- High-tech instrument display features analog tachometer, digital speedometer, dual trip meter with miles on reserve function, odometer, water temperature and lights for neutral, high beam, low fuel and turn signals-also a fade-in lighting feature with adjustable brightness.
- Two-piece seat serves up great comfort.
- Passenger grabrails provide passenger comfort while maintaining an aggressive appearance.
- Durable O-ring-sealed drive chain provides longer chain life.
- Dual 12V 60/55-watt multireflector headlight features a sleek, profile for superb aerodynamics and visibility.
- Standard toolkit located in convenient storage compartment under passenger seat.
2012 Yamaha FZ1 Specs:
- Type: 998cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 20 valves
- Bore x Stroke: 77 x 53.6mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.5:1
- Fuel Delivery: Fuel injection
- Ignition: Digital TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition with 32-bit ECU
- Transmission: 6-speed w/multiplate clutch
- Final Drive: O-ring chain
- Suspension / Front: 43mm fork; fully adjustable, 5.1-in travel
- Suspension / Rear: Single shock; adjustable preload and rebound damping, 5.1-in travel
- Brakes / Front: Dual 320mm floating discs w/4-piston calipers
- Brakes / Rear: 245mm disc w/single-piston caliper
- Tires / Front: 120/70-ZR17
- Tires / Rear: 190/50-ZR17
- Length: 84.3 in
- Width: 30.3 in
- Height: 47.4 in
- Seat Height: 32.1 in
- Wheelbase: 57.5 in
- Ground Clearance: 5.3 in
- Rake (Caster Angle): 25.0°
- Trail: 4.3 in
- Fuel Capacity: 4.8 gal
- Fuel Economy: 35 mpg
- Wet Weight: 487 lb
- Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
2012 Yamaha FZ1 Color Option/MSRP:
- Pearl White/Matte Black / $10,590
Available from February 2012