2011 AMA Motocross
Spoiler Alert: 250cc AMA Motocross results below
The 2011 AMA Motocross Championship headed to Spring Creek MX Park in Minnesota Saturday for round 7.
In the 250 Class, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Tyla Rattray, of South Africa, dominated in the final moto of the day to capture his third win of the summer.
The opening moto of the 250 Motocross Class featured a close, two-rider battle between Wilson and Rattray. After grabbing the lead prior to the completion of the first lap, Wilson looked to pull away from his teammate, who had to work his way past DNA Shred Stix/Star Racing Yamaha’s Kyle Cunningham, of Aledo, Texas.
Once in second, Rattray continued to post quicker lap times than Wilson, and closed to within bike lengths of the lead, before lapped traffic distanced the duo. On the final motocross lap, Rattray put in a hard charge, closing in on Wilson’s rear fender as they crossed the finish, just a half-second apart.
In Moto 2, Cunningham fought his way into the lead early in the moto. However, Rattray made the pass just on the second lap, and proceeded to dominate the rest of the way to finish with 2-1 moto scores.
Tyla Rattray (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX250F Motocross) says: "It was definitely a good day for me," said Rattray. "Having Dean (Wilson) there in the second moto made it tough. I just tried to focus on my lap times and stick to my plan. It’s still a long season, and a lot of points are available. But it’s going to come down to the wire."
Wilson followed his teammate into second, but wasn’t able to close the gap in the final moto. His identical scores (1-2) tied him with Rattray in points for the day, but he missed out on his first overall win of the season by virtue of the second moto tiebreaker.
Dean Wilson (Monster Energy Kawasaki KX250F Motocross) says: "The day was pretty good," said Wilson. "I can’t complain. The first moto was good, but I was spent halfway through. The heat got to me. In the next moto, I tried to get a good start and I got behind Tyla (Rattray). I was pretty tired though and I tried to make one last move, but it didn’t work. Sometimes consistency wins championships, but I definitely want to win a race."
Fellow Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki rider Blake Baggett, of Grand Terrace, Calif., finished third (3-3).
Wilson continues to lead the championship standings, holding a 16-point lead over Rattray. The Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki team also remains undefeated in the 2011 season.
The Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship heads to the Pacific Northwest next weekend, for the Peterson CAT Washougal National. Washougal Motocross Park will host the lone stop in the region on Saturday, July 23, beginning at 4 p.m. EST.
2011 AMA Motocross: Spring Creek 250cc Results:
- Tyla Rattray, Durban, South Africa, Kawasaki (2-1)
- Dean Wilson, Glasgow, Scotland, Kawasaki (1-2)
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki (3-3)
- Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha (4-4)
- Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda (7-5)
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki (6-9)
- Wil Hahn, Wichita, Kan., Honda (9-8)
- Gareth Swanepoel, Johannesburg, South Africa, Yamaha (5-12)
- Gannon Audette, Minneapolis, Minn., Yamaha (15-10)
- Jason Anderson, Las Cruces, N.M., Suzuki (14-11)
AMA Motocross 250 Class Championship Standings (After seven of 12 rounds)
- Dean Wilson, Glasgow, Scotland, Kawasaki – 305
- Tyla Rattray, Durban, South Africa, Kawasaki – 289
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki – 284
- Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha – 199
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 190
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki – 170
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda – 152
- Gareth Swanepoel, Johannesburg, South Africa, Yamaha – 145
- Martin Davalos, Quito, Ecuador, Suzuki – 128
- Darryn Durham, Butler, Pa., Honda – 122