2011 Isle of Man TT Review
In the 2010 Isle of Man TT, multiple records were shattered, including Ian Hutchinson winning an incredible five TT races.
And although this year’s IOMTT didn’t rewrite the record books, it still brought motorcycle racing fans the highest dose of adrenaline possible on two wheels.
Much of the adrenaline came from Honda TT Legends rider John McGuinness. The Morecambe rider, who holds the outright IOMTT lap record (2009) with a 131.578 mph around the 37.73-mile Mountain Course, took the most wins this year after dominating the Senior TT and Dainese 6-Lap Superbike races.
McGuinness now has 17 victories; the only IOMTT pilot with more is the legendary Joey Dunlop with 26.
In the first TT of 2011, the Dainese 6-Lap Superbike race, McGuinness would finished over a minute ahead of Wilson Craig Honda CBR1000RR rider Cameron Donald. The IOMTT rider took the win in 1 hour, 46.13 minutes, with an average speed of 127.870 mph.
As for the Senior TT, Relentless Suzuki’s Guy Martin was the early leader, completing his first lap at over 131 mph. Padgetts Honda’s Bruce Anstey held an edge of McGuinness on the first lap, but when the riders pitted at the end of the second lap, a slower stop by Anstey allowed McGuinness to take second with four laps remaining.
McGuinness then gained some rhythm, and passed the Martin’s Suzuki GSX-R1000 before Lap 3 was complete. The Morecambe rider immediately began pulling away from Martin, eventually finishing 7.2 seconds ahead.
But with these highlights arrived some somber news, including the death of three riders.
The first fatal crash occurred during practice for the Sidecar race. The Auto Cycle Union (ACU) reported that Bill Currie, 67, of Ellesmere Port, and his passenger Kevin Morgan, 59, of Shrewsbury, were killed during the IOMTT sidecar crash at Ballacrye in the north part of the Mountain Course.
The third rider to perish on the Mountain Course was Derek Brien, 34, of Co. Meath in Ireland. Brien was killed during the IOMTT crash in the first Supersport race. The ACU reported that the fatal, one-man IOMTT crash occurred during a high-speed section at Gorse Lea.
2011 Isle of Man TT: Solo Podium Results
2011 Isle of Man Senior TT Race Results (June 10, 2011):
- John McGuinness / 2008 Honda CBR1000RR IOMTT
- Guy Martin / 2011 Suzuki GSXR 1000 IOMTT
- Bruce Anstey / Honda CBR1000 IOMTT
2011 Isle of Man 6-Lap Dainese Superbike Race Results (June 4, 2011):
- John McGuinness / Honda TT Legends CBR1000RR IOMTT
- Cameron Donald / Wilson Craig Honda CBR1000RR IOMTT
- Gary Johnson / Links Lifting/East Coast Honda CBR1000RR IOMTT
2011 IOMTT Royal London 360 Superstock Race Results (June 6, 2011):
- Michael Dunlop / 2011 Kawasaki ZX10R
- John McGuinness/ 2011 Honda CBR1000
- Guy Martin / 2011 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2011 Isle of Man TT: Supersport 1 Results (June 6, 2011):
- Bruce Anstey / Padgetts Honda CBR600
- Keith Amor / KBMG Racing Suzuki GSX-R 600
- Guy Martin /Relentless Suzuki by TAS Racing GSX-R600
2011 Isle of Man TT: Supersport 2 Results (June 8, 2011):
- Gary Johnson / East Coast Construction Honda CBR600
- John McGuinness / Padgetts Honda CBR600
- Guy Martin / Relentless Suzuki GSX-R 600