Freestone Motocross: Dungey & Reed Lead
2011 AMA Motocross Preview
At the 2011 AMA Motocross season opener in Hangtown, Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey and Two-Two Motorsports Honda’s Chad Reed each had a win.
And in the motos Dungey and Reed didn’t win, both had a second-place finish. This ties them as the Motocross series heads to Wortham, Texas, for the Rockstar Energy Freestone National this Memorial Day Weekend.
Third in the championship points race after round 1 of 12 is this year’s AMA Supercross Champion, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto; he took the final podium position in both Hangtown Motos.
During last year’s race, Dungey swept Freestone en route to his title-winning rookie Motocross season.
According to MX Sports, after a day full of tightly-contested action in California, TwoTwo Motorsports/Bel-Ray Racing’s Chad Reed, Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Blake Baggett, and DNA Shred Stix/Star Racing Yamaha’s Jessica Patterson all walked away with the victories in the three classes of competition. Each rider currently sits atop the championship standings and holds the early advantage in the quest for the coveted title in the 450 Class, 250 Class and WMX Class.
MX Sports says “Freestone Raceway is one of the most challenging tracks on the Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship schedule. Track promoter Tony Miller has always tested the fastest riders on the planet with a diverse mix of speed and technicality, and this year won’t be any different. The track’s trademark sand whoops known as the 12-pack will be a focal point for fans and riders alike, while the sprawling layout will allow for close competition amongst all the riders.”
The on-track action for the Rockstar Energy Freestone National begins this Saturday at 8:30 a.m. (CDT) with practice and qualifying. Opening ceremonies begin at 12:30 p.m. (CDT) with motos kicking off at 1 p.m. (CDT).
For Motocross TV listings, click here.
2011 AMA Motocross 450 Class Championship Standings (after one of 12 rounds)
- Chad Reed, Australia, Honda – 47
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 47
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 40
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 33
- Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Suzuki – 32
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 32
- Tommy Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Yamaha – 26
- Christophe Pourcel, France, Yamaha – 24
- Ricky Dietrich, Menifee, Calif., Yamaha – 22
- Christian Craig, Hemet, Calif., Honda – 18
- Michael Byrne, Australia., Suzuki – 18
2011 AMA Motocross 250 Class Championship Standings
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki – 47
- Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki – 45
- Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki – 38
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda – 38
- Marvin Musquin, France, KTM – 33
- Gareth Swanepoel, South Africa, Yamaha – 28
- Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha – 26
- Darryn Durham, Butler, Pa., Honda – 23
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Kawasaki – 22
- Cole Seely, Newbury Park, Calif., Honda – 22
2011 AMA Motocross WWMX Class Standings
- Jessica Patterson, Tallahassee, Fla., Yamaha – 50
- Ashley Fiolek, St. Augustine, Fla., Honda – 44
- Steffi Laier, Germany, KTM – 40
- Tarah Gieger, Puerto Rico., Honda – 32
- Jacqueline Strong, Sedona, Ariz., KTM – 30
- Tatum Sik, Temecula, Calif., Yamaha – 28
- Mariana Balbi, Brazil, Yamaha – 26
- Kasie Creson, Byron, Calif., Honda – 24
- Sayaka Kaneshiro, Japan, Suzuki – 23
- Elizabeth Bash, Riverside, Calif., KTM – 19