Motorcycle Safety Awareness
Wiley X, the leading manufacturer of protective eyewear for motorcyclists is honored to support Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month this May.
The movement aims to encourage motorists to share the road with motorcycle riders as well as remind motorcyclists to follow some simple tips to keep themselves as safe as possible.According to a study sponsored in part by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) the most deadly injuries to motorcyclist victims were injuries to the chest and head.Also, 73-percent of accident-involved motorcycle riders used no eye protection. Researchers believe it is likely that wind on unprotected eyes contributed in the impairment of vision, which delayed hazard detection.Myles Freeman Jr. (Wiley X Eyewear Co-Owner) says: “What is most painful, is a vast number of fatal motorcycle accidents could be avoided by wearing proper gear, including safety eyewear. Our goal as a company is two-fold: to make the highest-quality protective eyewear available, and to make it look good.”Wiley X offers a complete line of sunglass and goggle options designed specifically for motorcylists. Wiley X’s popular Climate Control series has a patented, removable soft foam Facial Cavity Seal with Top Down Ventilation that seals out wind, debris and reflected light while preventing fogging, ideal features for motorcyclists driving in a wide variety of road conditions.Motorcycle riders can also choose from the company’s motorcycle goggle series which have been lab and road-tested to shield eyes from high-velocity impact. In fact, Wiley X is the only premium performance sunglass manufacturer whose entire line – sunglasses and goggles – meets ANSI Z87.1-2003 high velocity and high mass impact and optical performance standards. In addition, all Wiley X goggles exceed stringent military specifications for ballistic impact protection giving motorcycle riders the highest protection available from high speed objects.Wearing protective clothing and eyewear is just one of a number of tips the NHTSA offers to motorists and motorcyclists.Other Motorcycle Safety tips include:Motorists
• Allow greater following distance behind a motorcycle.
• Be extra cautious in intersections. Most crashes occur when a motorist fails to see a motorcyclist and turns left in front of a motorcycle.
• Give a motorcycle the full lane width – never try to share a lane.Motorcyclists
• Avoid riding in poor weather conditions.
• Position motorcycle in lane where you will be out of a motorist’s blind spot.
• Use turn signals for every turn or lane change.For more information on the company’s full line of high performance eyewear for sports, work and outdoor activities – visit Wiley X Eyewear at 7800 Patterson Pass Road, Livermore, CA 94550 • Telephone: (800) 776-7842 • Or visit online at wileyx.com
. For more information on motorcycle safety, visit the NHTSA website at nhtsa.gov