2011 Dakar Motorcycles | Stage 5 Video
2011 Dakar Rally Video
After helping out a hurt rider, Paulo Goncalves thought he would be finishing fourth at Stage 5 of the 2011 Dakar Rally. But his deed paid off, and the Portuguese rider took first place.
Goncalves was also the first rider in Dakar 2011 to win a stage riding something besides a KTM; he rode a BMW G450RR to victory. The win was the first victory for BMW on the Dakar since the era of Richard Sainct, who triumphed on a German-made bike in 1999 and 2000.
Following Goncalves after 423 kilometers in the desert from Calama to Iquique was Francisco "Chaleco" Lopez aboard the Aprilia 450, and then Frans Verhoeven on another BMW G450RR.
Paulo Gonclaves says: "It was a very difficult stage, very long but also very beautiful. I think I rode it well. After the refuelling point, I stopped to help Olivier Pain who had fallen.
"The rules say we should stop. I waited for 4 to 5 minutes. The main thing is that he’s ok. So I’ll probably have some time taken off my end result. The bike worked well on the quick parts as well as the technical ones."
After his win, Goncalves is in fourth overall, 21 minutes from the leader Marc Coma and 11 from Cyril Despres, both KTM riders. Lopez remains in third overall, 18 behind Coma, eight behind Despres.
2011 Dakar Rally Stage 5 Results
1. Paolo Goncalves, Portugal, BMW, 5:12:23
2. Francisco (Chaleco) Lopez, Chile, Aprilia, at 2:18
3. Frans Verhoefen, Belgium, BMW, 2:19
4. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM, 3:58 (Coma re-classified third after officials evaluated the time he spent assisting the injured Olivier Pain)
5. Cyril Despres, Andorra, 4:40
2011 Dakar General Standings after Stage 5
1. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM 16:59:33
2. Cyril Despres, Andorra, at 10:14
3. Francisco (Chaleco) Lopez, Chile, Aprilia, at 21:42
4. Paolo Goncalves, Portugal, BMW, 25:40
5. Helder Rodriguez, Portugal, Yamaha, at 32:05